Book suggestions for classical thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a book on classical thermodynamics. The speaker has found several related posts but has not been able to find a book that covers the entire subject. They are looking for a book that covers thermodynamics and includes problems for practice. Some suggestions are made, including Reif's "Fundamentals of statistical and thermal physics," which is an older but widely used book, and "Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics" by Smith and Van Ness, which includes a complete treatment of solution thermodynamics. The speaker also mentions "Thermal Physics: Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by Robert Floyd Sekerka and "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics" by H.B. Call
Istiak
I was looking for book on classical thermodynamics. I found lot of related posts in PSE but couldn't find a book which type I was expecting. I was searching for book which covers the whole thermodynamics (not QM but it's ok if there's some knowledge of Relativity), and I want some problems in that book also (I have little bit knowledge of thermodynamics but I would like to start from the beginning)

Science news on Phys.org
Reif "Fundamentals of statistical and thermal physics" is pretty old by now, but it is a good book and I believe(?) still very widely used

Likes vanhees71
Is there any other book?

Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics, Moran et al (I think this book is available online)

For a book that also includes a pretty complete treatment of solution thermodynamics, see Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by Smith and Van Ness.

Likes vanhees71
H. B. Callen, Thermodynamics and an Introduction to
Thermostatistics, John Wiley&Sons, New York, Chichester,
Brisbane, Toronto, Singapore, 2 edn. (1985).

For relativistic thermodynamics:

N. G. van Kampen, Relativistic thermodynamics of moving
systems, Phys. Rev. 173, 295 (1968),
https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRev.173.295.80

vanhees71 said:
H. B. Callen, Thermodynamics and an Introduction to
Thermostatistics, John Wiley&Sons, New York, Chichester,
Brisbane, Toronto, Singapore, 2 edn. (1985).
That's looking good. It contains much more math, I like maths rather than tons of text.

Anyway, I am actually preferring for Olympiad.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is classical thermodynamics?

Classical thermodynamics is the study of the relationships between heat, work, and energy transfer in systems at the macroscopic level. It is based on a set of fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of thermodynamic systems.

2. Why is classical thermodynamics important?

Classical thermodynamics is important because it provides a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems, such as engines, refrigerators, and power plants. It also has applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

3. What are some good books for learning classical thermodynamics?

Some popular books for learning classical thermodynamics include "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Cengel and Michael A. Boles, "Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics" by J.M. Smith, H.C. Van Ness, and M.M. Abbott, and "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Michael J. Moran and Howard N. Shapiro.

4. Is prior knowledge of physics necessary for understanding classical thermodynamics?

Prior knowledge of physics, particularly in the areas of mechanics and energy, is helpful for understanding classical thermodynamics. However, many introductory books on the subject provide a review of relevant physics concepts.

5. Are there any online resources for learning classical thermodynamics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning classical thermodynamics, such as lecture notes, videos, and interactive simulations. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and HyperPhysics.