Books for intermediate to advanced level QFT

In summary, the speaker is studying quantum field theory and has encountered difficulty understanding renormalization in their current book. They have switched to a different book on particle physics, but still plan to study QFT at an advanced level. They are considering Schwartz and Peskin & Schroeder as recommended resources and are looking for advice on managing notation differences between books. The expert suggests starting with Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur by Lancaster & Blundell and/or Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory by Klauber.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have recently started a book on QFT: A First Book of QFT by Amitabha Lahiri and Palash B. Pal. It is very well written until the chapter of renormalization, where, before correcting the ultraviolet and infrared divergences, the book itself diverges, and I couldn't make meaning out of what they were writing. So I shifted to the Particle Physics book by Palash Pal. Keeping in mind what I have read from the previous QFT book, I can understand what is being taught in the book.

Now the point is, this is a particle physics book, and it might not go very deep into the theory ("might" because I haven't studied the whole book). So, I will have to study QFT from at an advanced level as well. For example, the Path Integral approach was not covered in the QFT book, so I have to read that from somewhere.

From what I have read online, I found that Schwartz and Peskin & Schroeder are quite recommended. I have attached the contents pages of the QFT book that I have studied (I haven't yet studied the last two chapters). Any suggestion other than these two books?

Another question: it is well known that notation differs from book to book to quite a large extent. Any general advice on how not to get lost when changing over from one book to the other?

Attachments

• Contents from A First Book of Quantum Field Theory.pdf
    177.5 KB · Views: 191
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is QFT and why is it important?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory, which is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It is important because it is the foundation of modern particle physics and helps us understand the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe.

2. What level of knowledge is required for intermediate to advanced level QFT books?

Intermediate to advanced level QFT books assume a strong background in undergraduate level physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Some knowledge of advanced mathematics, such as differential equations and linear algebra, is also necessary.

3. Can QFT be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, QFT has been successfully applied to various real-world problems, including the development of technologies such as transistors and lasers. It also plays a crucial role in understanding phenomena such as superconductivity and the behavior of materials at extreme temperatures.

4. Are there any recommended books for self-study of intermediate to advanced level QFT?

Yes, some popular books for self-study of intermediate to advanced level QFT include "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki, and "Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model" by Matthew D. Schwartz.

5. What are some common challenges in learning QFT?

Some common challenges in learning QFT include the abstract nature of the subject, the use of advanced mathematics, and the need for a strong understanding of quantum mechanics. It also requires a lot of practice and patience to fully grasp the concepts and their applications.