Books Recommendations for physics majors

In summary, the speaker shares their experience after completing their first year at university and offers recommendations for resources in mathematics, physics, and laboratory work. They also suggest starting with Schaum's Outline of Mathematics for Physics Students for those without a strong math background. Another speaker recommends Schaum's book on Mathematical Tables and Formulas for practical applications in physics.
TeeTex
Hey everyone!
So i have finished my first year at the university and i would like to share my experience for those who about to proceed their first year or want to improve their knowledge!

Starting with Mathematics:
I recommend these books
* First Course in mathematical analysis Canuto-Springer
(It covers everything from the beginning to the end of the first part needed to proceed to Mathematical analysis II and Complex analysis I.)

Linear algebra, any generic book will be fine!

Physics: I used Taylor's book Classical mechanics, it's really interesting and explaining the material in extraordinary way!

For Laboratory, I used Error analysis book of Taylor J. as well.

And that about it.

Now if you guys have no idea where to start, or don't have any background in mathematics i really recommend you to start with Schaum's Outline of Mathematics for Physics Students.

If you have any questions about the first year, or how to proceed you can freely sending me a message :)

have a terrific day :3

Likes jedishrfu
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

If you liked Schaums then you should get their book on Mathematical Tables and Formulas. It has a large list of solved integrals, and great info on other applied math topics including coordinate systems and Bessel, legendre and Laguerre functions useful n Quantum Mechanics.

Likes TeeTex
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

If you liked Schaums then you should get their book on Mathematical Tables and Formulas. It has a large list of solved integrals, and great info on other applied math topics including coordinate systems and Bessel, legendre and Laguerre functions useful n Quantum Mechanics.
Thanks i will check it out! o0)

What are the best books for self-studying physics?

The best books for self-studying physics are usually textbooks used in university courses such as "University Physics" by Young and Freedman or "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker. Other popular choices include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Feynman, Leighton, and Sands.

What are some recommended books for advanced topics in physics?

For advanced topics, "Classical Mechanics" by Goldstein, "Quantum Mechanics" by Shankar, and "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by Griffiths are commonly recommended. "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths and "Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics" by Schroeder are also popular choices.

Are there any books that cover multiple branches of physics?

Yes, there are books that cover multiple branches of physics. Some examples include "The Theoretical Minimum" series by Susskind and Hrabovsky, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Knight, and "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Beiser. These books cover topics from classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and more.

What are some good books for problem-solving and practice?

"Schaum's Outline of Physics for Engineering and Science" by Bueche and Hecht, "200 Puzzling Physics Problems" by Gnadig, and "Problems and Solutions in Introductory Mechanics" by Morin are popular choices for problem-solving and practice. Many textbooks also include practice problems and end-of-chapter exercises.

Are there any online resources for physics books and recommendations?

Yes, there are many online resources for physics books and recommendations. Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble offer user reviews and ratings for various physics books. Physics forums and discussion boards are also great places to ask for recommendations and suggestions from other physics enthusiasts.