Books that teach classical mechanics through a discourse method

In summary, books that teach classical mechanics through a discourse method utilize a conversational style to explain complex concepts and principles. This method allows for a more engaging and interactive learning experience, as the reader is encouraged to think critically and participate in the discussion. By using real-world examples and analogies, these books effectively break down the fundamentals of classical mechanics and make them more accessible to a wider audience. Overall, this discourse-based approach to teaching classical mechanics is a highly effective and engaging way to learn about this fundamental branch of physics.
Viishnuuu
Books that teaches classical mechanics through a discourse method ie asking interesting questions and answering them maybe a similar one to
Understanding Basic Chemistry Through Problem Solving: The Learner's Approach
Book by Jeanne Tan and Kim Seng Chan. Not exactly asking numerical questions but interesting curious theoretical questions and answering them

Please don't recommend tarasov's book they don't ask interesting questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Viishnuuu
Thank you for the suggestion,I don't understand where this book has interesting questions this book is similar to other standard college books maybe the theory is simple but i was searching for one similar to
V. N. Lange

Physical Paradoxes and Sophisms pls suggest if u know of any similar one's​

Viishnuuu said:
Thank you for the suggestion,I don't understand where this book has interesting questions this book is similar to other standard college books maybe the theory is simple but i was searching for one similar to
V. N. Lange

Physical Paradoxes and Sophisms pls suggest if u know of any similar one's​

What is your background Viishnuuu?
From your previous activity, I think you are studying physics for fun. Right? Why not take a step forward and study REAL physics? What it all takes is to know basic integration and differentiation. You will never know the real beauty of physics if you don't study it in natural way

Hm, the first thing coming to mind is Galileo's "Discorsi" :-).

• Haha
Likes Mr.Husky
Ganesh Mammu said:
What is your background Viishnuuu?
From your previous activity, I think you are studying physics for fun. Right? Why not take a step forward and study REAL physics? What it all takes is to know basic integration and differentiation. You will never know the real beauty of physics if you don't study it in natural way
To be frank with you I never liked physics or may I should reprase it as I never liked the way it was taught in school just repeating useless vocabulary for 2-3 years and I am fed up of this standard way physics is taught in school so I thought of studying it in the most natural way possible ie by inducing one of man's most basic Instinct ie by asking good questions about the physical world and searching for good books from experienced people like you and well here I am

vanhees71 said:
Hm, the first thing coming to mind is Galileo's "Discorsi" :-).
Please don't reply for the sake of replying 🙏🙏🙏🙏, don't troll bro🙏🙏

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Viishnuuu said:
To be frank with you I never liked physics or may I should reprase it as I never liked the way it was taught in school just repeating useless vocabulary for 2-3 years and I am fed up of this standard way physics is taught in school so I thought of studying it in the most natural way possible ie by inducing one of man's most basic Instinct ie by asking good questions about the physical world and searching for good books from experienced people like you and well here I am
If you are studying in this way for your curiosity, then it's okay. There are many pop science authors to help you. But if you are physics or math student, then I strongly discourage that. However a quick Google search gave me thousands of results but this one looks interesting:-
https://books.google.co.in/books?id...CAIQAw#v=onepage&q=puzzles of physics&f=false

Likes Viishnuuu
Ganesh Mammu said:
If you are studying in this way for your curiosity, then it's okay. There are many pop science authors to help you. But if you are physics or math student, then I strongly discourage that. However a quick Google search gave me thousands of results but this one looks interesting:-
https://books.google.co.in/books?id=hcFFoct2JAEC&printsec=frontcover&dq=puzzles+of+physics&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjR0-XK0N3yAhWb7HMBHVg8By84ChDoAXoECAIQAw#v=onepage&q=puzzles of physics&f=false
Please just to know but why do you discourage it and thank you for your suggestions

How do you distinguish the example problems solved in a standard physics textbook from what you are looking for? In general, "interesting" is not a good proxy for what will teach you the skills to solve problems yourself.

Maybe the Feynman lectures would suit your purpose. They are kind of "chatty" and Feynman usually poses interesting problems.

Likes Mr.Husky and vanhees71
I am searching for great puzzle websites or puzzle books on classical mechanics maybe similar one's to VN Lange puzzles and sophisms book or Thinking physics by Lewis Carroll Epstein puzzle book and please don't recommend from Google searches I have done a ton of that only recommend if you have used it or feel it's as good as the above mentioned one's it's a request 🙏🙏😁😅

[Duplicate thread merged into existing thread by the Mentors]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the discourse method of teaching classical mechanics?

The discourse method of teaching classical mechanics involves using a conversational or narrative style to explain and explore the principles and concepts of classical mechanics. This approach is often used in textbooks and lectures to engage students and make the subject more accessible.

2. What are the benefits of using the discourse method to teach classical mechanics?

The discourse method allows for a more engaging and interactive learning experience, as it encourages students to think critically and ask questions. It also helps to break down complex concepts into more manageable and relatable examples, making it easier for students to understand and retain the information.

3. How does the discourse method differ from traditional methods of teaching classical mechanics?

Traditional methods of teaching classical mechanics often involve a more formal and structured approach, with a focus on mathematical equations and problem-solving. The discourse method, on the other hand, uses a more conversational and narrative style to explain the concepts, making it more accessible for students who may struggle with the mathematical aspects of the subject.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using the discourse method to teach classical mechanics?

One potential drawback of the discourse method is that it may not be suitable for all students, particularly those who prefer a more structured and formal learning environment. It also requires a skilled and knowledgeable instructor who can effectively facilitate discussions and answer questions from students.

5. How can I incorporate the discourse method into my own teaching of classical mechanics?

If you are interested in using the discourse method to teach classical mechanics, it is important to familiarize yourself with the principles and concepts of the subject and develop engaging and relatable examples to use in your teaching. You can also seek out resources and materials that use the discourse method, such as textbooks or online lectures, to help guide your approach.