Bounded Variation - Difference of Functions

In summary, the function f can be decomposed into the sum of two monotonic functions h and g, each of which is associated with a different variation function.
joypav
Define $f(x)=sinx$ on $[0, 2\pi]$. Find two increasing functions h and g for which f = h−g
on $[0, 2\pi]$.

I know that if f is of bounded variation in $[a,b]$, it is the difference of two positive, monotonic increasing functions. However, we didn't do any examples of this in class. Is there a way to choose these functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
At a casual glance and given that I know virtually nothing of Real Analysis, it seems the following wiki might help. My apologies if I am incorrect. :eek:

How about h(x)=sin x + x?

joypav said:
Define $f(x)=sinx$ on $[0, 2\pi]$. Find two increasing functions h and g for which f = h−g
on $[0, 2\pi]$.

I know that if f is of bounded variation in $[a,b]$, it is the difference of two positive, monotonic increasing functions. However, we didn't do any examples of this in class. Is there a way to choose these functions?

For this particular case, you find your answer above.

In general, if you let $V_f : [a,b] \to \mathbb{R}$ denote the variation function associated with $f$ (i.e. $V_f(t)$ is the variation of $f$ over $[0,t]$) then you can use $V_f$ to construct such a decomposition of $f$. Can you see how $h$ and $g$ may easily be expressed in terms of $V_f$?

P.S. It may be slightly clearer to say "non-decreasing" instead of "increasing".

Janssens said:
For this particular case, you find your answer above.

In general, if you let $V_f : [a,b] \to \mathbb{R}$ denote the variation function associated with $f$ (i.e. $V_f(t)$ is the variation of $f$ over $[0,t]$) then you can use $V_f$ to construct such a decomposition of $f$. Can you see how $h$ and $g$ may easily be expressed in terms of $V_f$?

P.S. It may be slightly clearer to say "non-decreasing" instead of "increasing".

In class we did define two functions to obtain the desire result. We defined them as..
$h(x) = V(f, [a,x])$
$g(x) = -f(x) + h(x)$

I guess I don't understand how to apply this. With the given function we'd have...
$h(x) = V(sinx, [0,x])$
$g(x) = -sinx + V(sinx, [0,x])$

I mean, obviously $f(x) = h(x) - g(x)$, but I didn't think this was all that needed done.

Klaas van Aarsen said:
How about h(x)=sin x + x?

Yes, thank you.

sinx = (sinx+x)-x

1. What is the concept of bounded variation in mathematics?

Bounded variation is a measure of how much a function varies within a given interval. It is a way to quantify the "smoothness" of a function by measuring the total distance it deviates from its average value within the interval.

2. How is bounded variation related to the difference of functions?

The bounded variation of a function can be used to calculate the difference of two functions. This is because the bounded variation measures the total distance between two functions, which can be used to determine the difference between them.

3. Can a function have bounded variation but not be continuous?

Yes, a function can have bounded variation but not be continuous. This is because bounded variation only measures the total distance a function deviates from its average value, not its continuity. A function can have sudden jumps or discontinuities and still have bounded variation.

4. How is bounded variation different from total variation?

Bounded variation is a subset of total variation. Total variation measures the total distance a function deviates from its average value, while bounded variation only measures the total distance within a given interval. In other words, bounded variation is a more specific measure of variation than total variation.

5. Why is bounded variation an important concept in mathematics?

Bounded variation is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of functions. It is used to prove the convergence of certain types of series, determine the existence of derivatives, and characterize the regularity of functions. It is also used in various applications in physics, engineering, and economics.