Bounding Pairs of Dehn Twists are Trivial

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of bounding pairs and Dehn twists on a genus-2 surface, which is the connected sum of 2 tori. The main topic is why, for genus-2 surfaces, these maps are considered trivial. It is explained that this is because there are only two classes of nonbounding curves and the composition of two twists is homotopic to the identity. The conversation also mentions the Torelli group, which is a group of maps that induce the identity in homology. Finally, the conversation concludes with an explanation of how the number of boundary components affects the genus of the resulting surface after cutting and gluing tori.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi Again:

Let S_2, be the genus-2 connected, orientable surface, i.e.,

the connected sum of 2 tori (e.g., tori spelling and some other tori)

Consider a pair {C1,C2} of homologous, non-trivial curves, i.e.,

neither C1 nor C2 bounds, but C1-C2 is a (sub)surface in S_2.

Consider now a pair {D1,D2) of Dehn twists about each of C1,C2 ,

but in opposite directions; these Dehn twists about curves like

{C1,C2} are called bounding pairs. Still, for genus g=2, these

maps are trivial. Why is this so?

We clearly have only two classes of nonbounding curves , but I don't see

why , nor in what sense this map is trivial.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A Dehn twist is a diffeomorphism T-->T, so it induces an automorphism in homology. I guess what they mean by trivial here is that if you compose two twists as described in the problem, they amount to the identity in homology. This is obviously the case for the torus and with C1, C2 two meridian or two longitudinal curves.

Also, I don't know what you meant by "We clearly have only two classes of nonbounding curves" but note that H_1(T#T)=Z^4, not Z_2.

But Quasar, I think you need something stronger than that, since there are many maps
diffeomorphisms, which induce the identity in homology; the collections of all those maps is actually a group called the Torelli group.

Bacle said:
But Quasar, I think you need something stronger than that, since there are many maps
diffeomorphisms, which induce the identity in homology; the collections of all those maps is actually a group called the Torelli group.
Stronger than what?

I mean that the condition that, if I understood you well, you meant that the BP map
mentioned by WWGD was referred-to as being trivial, because it induced the identity
in homology. The condition that map induce the identity in homology seems too broad to consider that map to be trivial, in the sense that the collection of all maps that induce the identity form a group, so that all these elements are considered different from each other, and, in particular, non-trivial.

Then maybe it means that thay are homotopically trivial.. i.e. the composition of the two twists is homotopic to the identity. Again, on T² for the twists relative 2 meridian or longitudinal curves, this is clearly the case.

I think I got it, Quasar, you were on the right track:

If you take a bounding pair d1,d2 in a genus-g surface, then after you

cut the surface along d1,d2, you end up with 2 subsurfaces S1,S2, with

respective genus g1,g2, and with g1+g2=g. Then, for the case of g=2,

we end up with two subsurfaces S1,S2, and we have two cases:

1)g1=2, g2=0 .

Then d1,d2 bound a cyclinder (g2=0 ), so that d1,d2 are homotopic, so the

two induce the same Dehn twist.

2)g1= g2=1

Then after the cuts , we get two tori with two boundary components. But if we

glue together two tori along a boundary component, we get a genus-3 surface

( a sort-of connected sum of 3-tori)

I think this works.

1. What is the concept of "Bounding Pairs of Dehn Twists are Trivial"?

The concept of "Bounding Pairs of Dehn Twists are Trivial" is a theorem in topology that states that a pair of Dehn twists (a type of transformation in geometry) on a surface can be continuously deformed into each other without any change in the surface. This is true as long as the surface has a boundary or is closed with genus (number of holes) greater than one.

2. What is the significance of this theorem in topology?

This theorem is significant because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of surfaces and how they can be transformed. It also has applications in many fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering.

3. Can you give an example of how this theorem is used in real-world applications?

One example is in computer graphics, where understanding the properties of surfaces is important for creating realistic 3D models. This theorem helps in the development of algorithms for smooth and continuous transformations of surfaces.

4. Is there any limitation to this theorem?

Yes, there are certain limitations to this theorem. It only applies to surfaces with a boundary or closed surfaces with genus greater than one. It also does not hold for surfaces with non-trivial boundaries or when the Dehn twists are not on the same surface.

5. What are some other related theorems in topology?

Other related theorems in topology include the Loop Theorem, the Dehn-Nielsen-Baer Theorem, and the Classification Theorem for Surfaces. These theorems all involve the study of surfaces and their properties, and help us understand the different ways in which surfaces can be transformed and manipulated.