Brachistochrone for Specific Ratios

In summary, the brachistochrone problem can be solved using a cycloid as the solution curve. However, the ratio between points A and B on the y-axis and x-axis must be r/pi*r for this to be the case. If the ratio is different, such as 1/2, there are two possible solutions: the curve is either an affine function of the cycloid or a segment of a larger cycloid. To approach this problem, one can use the Calculus of Variations, which allows for finding entire functions that are extrema for a given characteristic. By introducing new constraints, different curves can be produced.
Joe Wolf
It is commonly known that the solution to the brachistochrone problem is a cycloid.

However, in order for a solution curve to be a cycloid, the ratio between points A on the y-axis and B on the x-axis has to be r/pi*r, since that is the ratio between the "height" of the cycloid and half of its "length". However, what is the solution curve to the brachistochrone problem if points A and B share a different ratio to each other - say, 1/2 ?

Two possible solutions that I have considered:
  1. The curve is an affine function of the cycloid; the curve is stretched by a factor k along one of the directions.
  2. The curve is a segment of a larger cycloid.
How would I approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked into the "Calculus of Variations"? Where you can use single variable calculus to find points on a curve corresponding to the extrema (ie. min/max), the Calculus of Variations can be used to find entire functions that are extrema for some characteristic. Taylor's Classical Mechanics text for example has a chapter that introduces this and I believe the Brachistochrone is one of the solutions presented (Morin's Mechanics text also touches on this.)

I suspect having gone through that you would be able to learn how to introduce new constraints that produce different curves.

I don't quite understand how I would go about adding such a constraint as I mentioned above

1. What is Brachistochrone for Specific Ratios?

Brachistochrone for Specific Ratios is a mathematical concept that involves finding the path of quickest descent between two points, where the speed of descent is proportional to a given ratio.

2. How is Brachistochrone for Specific Ratios related to the Brachistochrone Curve?

The Brachistochrone for Specific Ratios is a generalization of the Brachistochrone Curve, which is a specific case where the ratio is equal to one. The Brachistochrone Curve was first studied by Johann Bernoulli in the 17th century.

3. What is the importance of Brachistochrone for Specific Ratios in mathematics?

Brachistochrone for Specific Ratios is important in mathematics as it provides a way to find the optimal path for a variety of real-world scenarios, such as the path of a falling object under the influence of gravity. It also has applications in calculus and optimization problems.

4. How is the Brachistochrone for Specific Ratios problem solved?

The Brachistochrone for Specific Ratios problem is solved using the calculus of variations, which involves finding the path that minimizes a certain functional. In the case of Brachistochrone for Specific Ratios, this functional is the time it takes to travel from one point to another, which is represented by an integral.

5. Can the Brachistochrone for Specific Ratios problem be solved for any ratio?

Yes, the Brachistochrone for Specific Ratios problem can be solved for any positive ratio. However, for ratios greater than one, the path may involve loops or curves, which can be more difficult to visualize and analyze.