Brake design for a small RC car

In summary, Tusike is asking for advice on a braking mechanism for a remote-controlled car. He is unsure of what the best construction would be, and wonders if there are better options.
Tusike
Hi!

For a university project I have to design a braking mechanism for a remote controlled car. I have very little experience in designing constructions, so I thought I'd ask here for any advice on the matter. I'm mostly curious about the design pattern, the thought process I should be going through.

The following image illustrates the wheel, which rotates about a stationary component marked blue. Any construction should be attached to this, e.g. with two screws at the area marked green.
The inner diameter of the wheel is 8 cm, and I have a depth of about 4-5 cm to work in. Note however, that I didn't model how the wheel connects to the rest of the car, so the design should fit into the mid-left and upper-left sections of the space inside the wheel (the other parts are blocked).

wheel.png

What would be the best brake construction in this situation? The braking force should be as adjustable as possible. I've thought about possible mechanical constructions, like fastening a small micro servo motor to the stationary part, and using a rack & pinion to push a rubber brake into the inner side of the wheel. Another idea was to use the motor to rotate the piece below, and press either of the two rubber cylinders against the wheel, depending on which direction it was rotating in. (This however, seems prone to breaking if you press the wrong side into the rotating wheel...)

piece.png

Am I starting off in the right direction, are there any better constructions I should've thought of or I should look into? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Tusike

Engineering news on Phys.org
if it is an electric powered vehicle it absolutely s/b an electromagnetic brake, via the motor.

drum is complicated and bulky. Next would disc, note there are disc brakes for 1/8th scale and up. could google for images to get design ideas from.

1. What is the purpose of brakes in an RC car?

Brakes in an RC car serve the same purpose as brakes in a real car - to slow down or stop the vehicle. They allow the driver to have better control over the car's speed and direction, enhancing the overall driving experience.

2. How do brakes work in an RC car?

Brakes in an RC car work by applying friction to the wheels, causing them to slow down or stop. This friction is created by a brake pad or disc rubbing against the wheel, which is controlled by a servo motor.

3. What factors should be considered when designing brakes for a small RC car?

When designing brakes for a small RC car, factors such as the weight and speed of the car, the type of terrain it will be driven on, and the size of the wheels should be taken into account. It is important to find a balance between braking power and weight, as well as ensuring the brakes are durable enough for the terrain the car will be driven on.

4. What are the different types of brakes used in RC cars?

The most common types of brakes used in RC cars are disc brakes, drum brakes, and regenerative brakes. Disc brakes offer the most stopping power and are commonly used in high-speed RC cars. Drum brakes are less powerful but are more compact and lighter, making them suitable for smaller RC cars. Regenerative brakes use the motor's resistance to slow down the car and recharge the battery, making them a popular choice for electric RC cars.

5. How can I improve the braking performance of my RC car?

To improve the braking performance of an RC car, you can consider upgrading to higher-quality brake pads or discs, adjusting the brake settings on your car's remote control, or adding additional brakes to increase overall stopping power. It is also important to regularly maintain and clean your brakes to ensure they are working at their best.