Bricklayers/brickmason apprenticeship

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter TheMacNerd
  • Start date
In summary, this person is trying to get into a skilled trade apprenticeship program because for most programs, college these days isn't worth it. They are already applying to their local brickmason's union and got a letter saying that in the fall they will be contacted to schedule an interview. They are also rehired as a cashier at a retail store. In the winter their hours will get crazy. They are an information technology major at their local community college but after getting the bill it was $1500 for 2 classes (7 hours of classes) (part time semester). College these days isn't worth it unless you're a doctor or a lawyer. In computer science/IT, it makes sense that half of them
TheMacNerd
Hi,

I'm trying to get into a skilled trade apprenticeship program because for most programs, college these days isn't worth it (fact). I already applied to my local brickmason's union for an apprenticeship. I called them today to let them know that I will be passing the road test soon. I got a letter saying that in the fall I will be contacted to schedule an interview. In the meantime I got rehired at a retail store as a cashier. Hopefully I can make arrangements with the store that I can work the cash register in the evenings and do the bricklayer during the day. In the winter my hours will get crazy (the same but opposite of the apprenticeship). I was/is an information technology major at my local community college. But after I got the bill it was $1500 for 2 classes (7 hours of classes) (part time semester). college these days isn't worth it unless you're a doctor or a lawyer. In computer science/IT, it makes a lot of sense that half of them make it and half of them don't. This is just an update on the job front.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheMacNerd said:
Hi,

I'm trying to get into a skilled trade apprenticeship program because for most programs, college these days isn't worth it (fact). I already applied to my local brickmason's union for an apprenticeship. I called them today to let them know that I will be passing the road test soon. I got a letter saying that in the fall I will be contacted to schedule an interview. In the meantime I got rehired at a retail store as a cashier. Hopefully I can make arrangements with the store that I can work the cash register in the evenings and do the bricklayer during the day. In the winter my hours will get crazy (the same but opposite of the apprenticeship). I was/is an information technology major at my local community college. But after I got the bill it was $1500 for 2 classes (7 hours of classes) (part time semester). college these days isn't worth it unless you're a doctor or a lawyer. In computer science/IT, it makes a lot of sense that half of them make it and half of them don't. This is just an update on the job front.
Best of luck with whatever career you settle on.

Likes russ_watters and Tom.G
This is an objectively terrible idea.

Likes russ_watters
.Scott said:
Best of luck with whatever career you settle on.
Qurks said:
This is an objectively terrible idea.
I believe I agree with .Scott.

Likes Tom.G
TheMacNerd said:
I'm trying to get into a skilled trade apprenticeship program because for most programs, college these days isn't worth it (fact).
I don't see a real purpose for this thread, but since this is the career advice forum, I'm going to give you some:

You should put more organized/serious thought into what you want your life to look like, make a plan, and then execute it.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, StatGuy2000, symbolipoint and 1 other person
russ_watters said:
I don't see a real purpose for this thread, but since this is the career advice thread, I'm going to give you some:

You should put more organized/serious thought into what you want your life to look like, make a plan, and then execute it.
I agree with that also. Bricklayer or brick mason is a very different kind of career or work than something in I.T. or Computer Science. Your job and career plans seem unfocused, and you both need to have or maintain some employment and figure out what you want to do for a job later and how to prepare/where to prepare for that career.

Likes Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
To be honest if I can get the skilled trade then I'll settle with that one. Because the skilled tradespeople will be upper middle class in the future and there are vast majority only minimum wage computer jobs out there that are coming back. You can't survive independently on a minimum wage job.

Likes symbolipoint
TheMacNerd said:
To be honest if I can get the skilled trade then I'll settle with that one. Because the skilled tradespeople will be upper middle class in the future and there are vast majority only minimum wage computer jobs out there that are coming back. You can't survive independently on a minimum wage job.
Ok, this needs to stop being your personal dumping/complaining grounds. If not for you own sake, for the sake of PF's quality. So please provide sources for those key claims:

1. How much does a bricklayers make in your region?
2. What's the income limit for upper-middle class?
3. What is a minimum wage computer job? (show an actual listing or description with statistics)

It really feels like you are making this up as you go along (and it looks like nonsense); venting, not thinking. Please show me I'm wrong (or correct it if I'm right) or this thread will need to be closed.

TheMacNerd said:

I don't think so, beyond that do you want to be laying brick in your 50s? If you are smart enough to start a company maybe it will work out, I suspect percentage wise the odds aren't in your favor.

Likes symbolipoint
Umm, wouldn’t a masonry forum be a better place for this thread? I don’t know what sort of useful advice you can get here for this.

I have temporarily closed this while the mentors discuss if masonry careers are fruitful to discuss here.

Edit: we will leave this closed. We don’t have the correct expertise to adequately advise you on this topic

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu

1. What is a bricklayer/brickmason apprenticeship?

An apprenticeship is a training program that provides hands-on experience and instruction in the field of bricklaying or brickmasonry. It allows individuals to learn the skills required for this trade while working under the guidance of experienced professionals.

2. How long does a bricklayer/brickmason apprenticeship typically last?

The length of an apprenticeship can vary, but it typically lasts between 3-4 years. During this time, apprentices will receive on-the-job training and attend classes to learn about safety, tools, materials, and techniques used in bricklaying and brickmasonry.

3. What are the requirements to become a bricklayer/brickmason apprentice?

The requirements may vary depending on your location, but generally, applicants must be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma or equivalent, and be physically able to perform the duties of the job. Some programs may also require applicants to pass a basic math and reading test.

4. What skills will I learn during a bricklayer/brickmason apprenticeship?

As an apprentice, you will learn how to mix and apply mortar, lay bricks and blocks, use different types of tools and equipment, and read and interpret blueprints and construction plans. You will also learn about safety procedures and how to work efficiently and effectively as part of a team.

5. What are the job prospects for bricklayers/brickmason apprentices?

The demand for skilled bricklayers and brickmasons is expected to remain steady in the coming years, with opportunities for advancement to supervisory or managerial roles. Completing an apprenticeship can also lead to higher-paying jobs in related fields such as construction project management or masonry inspection.