Brownian Motion - "no inertia"

In summary, Langevin Dynamics can be simplified to Brownian Motion in a certain limit where the net acceleration is set to 0 and the equations are reorganized. This is referred to as the "no inertia" assumption, although it does not actually imply infinite mass. This limit is also known as the "high friction" limit and results in a joint probability distribution that approaches a diffusion process. However, some confusion arises as to why this is called Brownian motion, as the full Langevin equation is usually used to describe this motion.
SchroedingersLion
Greetings,

I currently work my way through Langevin Dynamics which, in a certain limit, becomes Brownian Motion.
I refer to this brief article on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_dynamics

I understand the general LD equation given there. In order to obtain Brownian Dynamics, one sets the net acceleration (to be precise, its average) to 0 and reorganizes the equations. I don't really see how this is an assumption of "no inertia". If inertia is the resistance of mass against acceleration, than zero acceleration (independently of the applied force) should correspond to infinite inertia, should it not?

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
0 average acceleration is not the same as 0 acceleration.

Likes etotheipi
I know, but how does this answer my question?

0 acceleration would indeed imply infinite mass, but it is not 0 acceleration. It is 0 average acceleration, which in no way implies infinite mass.

Likes SchroedingersLion
Fair enough, so infinite inertia would be false. However, I still don't see why it is called "no inertia". On the same note, I don't see why it is called the "high friction" limit. Why is ##\gamma \rightarrow \infty## the same as setting the average acceleration to zero?

It's just neglecting the term ##m \ddot{x}## against the other terms in the equation. What I don't understand is, why they call this "Brownian motion". For me Brownian motion is the motion described by the full Langevin equation (usually without external forces).

Likes Dale
This is usually called the overdamped limit. In this case γ is large enough so that the velocity equilibrates very rapidly so you can set dv/dt=0 to find the behavior at long times. The joint pdf p(x,v) then factorizes into a stationary Maxwellian distribution for p(v) times a time dependent distribution p(x(t)) approaching a diffusion process.

Likes vanhees71 and Dale

What is Brownian Motion?

Brownian Motion is the random movement of particles suspended in a fluid, caused by collisions with the molecules of the fluid.

What is "no inertia" in relation to Brownian Motion?

"No inertia" refers to the fact that in Brownian Motion, the particles do not have any inherent tendency to move in a particular direction. Instead, their movement is solely determined by the collisions with the fluid molecules.

How does Brownian Motion affect the diffusion of particles?

Brownian Motion plays a major role in the diffusion of particles. The random movement of particles due to Brownian Motion causes them to spread out and become evenly distributed throughout the fluid.

What is the significance of Brownian Motion in scientific research?

Brownian Motion is significant in scientific research because it provides evidence for the existence of molecules and atoms, which were once thought to be purely theoretical. It also has practical applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology.

How is Brownian Motion related to temperature?

Brownian Motion is directly related to temperature. As temperature increases, the speed and frequency of collisions between particles and fluid molecules also increase, resulting in more rapid and chaotic Brownian Motion.