Build a Home Laser Engraver for Aluminum w/ LasersTEA

In summary: One could build a simple coupler using a lens and a dichroic mirror.So to summarize, people advise you to buy a professional machine to engrave in aluminum. However, you are interested in learning more about this technology so you decide to build your own fiber laser. However, you will not be able to have much fun doing so as fiber lasers are just a long fiber with dopant and pumping them together is all you need.
pml87
hello, I'm interested in make an fibre laser to engrave in aluminum, however in all foruns where i ask this question everyone sugest me to buy an professional machine. but I'm interested in learn more about this tecnology so i would like to make my own fibre laser. of course some componets i know they should be necessary buy.
i found this project: http://192.197.62.35/staff/mcsele/lasers/LasersTEA.htm
to engrave in aluminum however people advised me fibre laser is better to engrave in metal pieces.
this LasersTEA prototype engraved in aluminum mixing nitrogen and helium gases.
some one have an idea how to do an homemade fibre laser?
or could give some opinion if this is a best laser type?

Science news on Phys.org
First the disclaimer: Building and using lasers is dangerous. I assume you need invisible light around 1060 nm for engraving. This is even more dangerous. Always use safety glasses when working with such devices and be careful. I am not just saying that for fun. These are really dangerous. If you need high powers also high voltages come into play. These are even more dangerous and I strongly recommend not to use high voltages without someone around who is experienced with high voltages.

Now to the physics. I am afraid, you will not have much fun building your own fiber laser. Fiber lasers are basically just a long fiber including some dopant which gives the stimulated emission. I suppose you might need ytterbium doped fibers. These fibers are typically reflecting at their end, so that you have a low quality cavity. Alternatively one may use fiber Bragg gratings. Now all you do is pump this fiber with another laser, typically a diode laser and that is about all.

However, there is not much one can do. You will obviously need to buy the doped fiber as you cannot make it yourself and you will need to buy the pump light source. Coupling the light into the fiber is not really a big deal.

Related to Build a Home Laser Engraver for Aluminum w/ LasersTEA

What materials are needed to build a home laser engraver for aluminum with LasersTEA?

To build a home laser engraver for aluminum with LasersTEA, you will need a LasersTEA laser, a power supply, aluminum sheets, a laser controller, a cooling system, a frame, and a computer with engraving software.

How does a LasersTEA laser work for engraving aluminum?

A LasersTEA laser works by exciting a gas mixture of nitrogen, helium, and carbon dioxide, which produces a high-powered infrared laser beam. This beam is then focused and directed onto the aluminum surface, causing it to melt and vaporize, creating the desired engraving.

Can a home-built laser engraver handle large pieces of aluminum?

Yes, a home-built laser engraver can handle large pieces of aluminum as long as the frame and cooling system are designed to support the weight and size of the material. It is important to properly secure the aluminum sheets to prevent movement during the engraving process.

What safety precautions should be taken when building and using a home laser engraver?

Building and using a home laser engraver can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. It is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as safety glasses, when working with lasers. The power supply should be properly grounded and all wiring should be secure. The engraving process should also be done in a well-ventilated area to prevent exposure to fumes.

Are there any limitations to what can be engraved on aluminum using a LasersTEA laser?

While LasersTEA lasers are powerful and versatile, there are some limitations to what can be engraved on aluminum. The laser may not be able to engrave intricate designs or very small text due to the size of the laser beam. Additionally, the depth of the engraving may be limited depending on the power of the laser and the thickness of the aluminum sheet.

Back