Build an Aircraft: What License Do I Need?

• Thread starter cronxeh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Advise
In summary, if you wanted to build a homemade aircraft powered by an LPG-powered jet engine, it would need to be certified by the FAA to meet safety standards. However, you could bypass this process by building it under the "experimental" category, which still requires inspection but is a simpler process compared to production aircraft. For more information, you can contact the Experimental Aircraft Association at www.eaa.org.
cronxeh
Gold Member
Suppose I wanted to build an aircraft that would be powered by home made LPG-powered jet engine. It would have to carry at least 180 lbs for a pilot plus fuel and all that stuff. If I wanted to fly this thing - what license would I need (FAA or any other 3-letter place)?

Physics news on Phys.org
FAA must certify that the craft meets their safety standards.

See - http://www.faa.gov/certification/aircraft/air_index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
You could build it under the "experimental" category and bypass the certification process required for production aircraft. It still required inspection, but it is a simple process compared to a production aircraft.

Contact the Experimental Aircraft Association for more info. www.eaa.org

-Glenn

Related to Build an Aircraft: What License Do I Need?

1. What type of license do I need to build an aircraft?

In order to legally build an aircraft, you will need an aircraft builder's license. This license is issued by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and is required for any person or organization that wants to construct an aircraft for their own use.

2. Do I need any special training or education to obtain an aircraft builder's license?

Yes, the FAA requires that you have a certain level of knowledge and experience before they will issue an aircraft builder's license. You will need to complete a comprehensive training program, such as the Experimental Aircraft Association's SportAir Workshops, and provide proof of this training to the FAA.

3. Can anyone build an aircraft or are there certain qualifications required?

While anyone can technically build an aircraft, the FAA does have certain requirements that must be met before an individual can obtain an aircraft builder's license. These include being at least 18 years old, having a solid understanding of aircraft construction and safety, and being able to pass a written and practical exam.

4. Are there different types of aircraft builder's licenses?

Yes, there are two types of aircraft builder's licenses: the amateur-built aircraft license and the light-sport aircraft license. The amateur-built aircraft license allows you to build any type of aircraft for personal use, while the light-sport aircraft license only allows you to build a specific type of aircraft known as a "light-sport aircraft."

5. How long does it take to obtain an aircraft builder's license?

The time it takes to obtain an aircraft builder's license can vary, as it depends on the individual's knowledge and experience level. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year to complete the necessary training and pass the required exams to obtain an aircraft builder's license.