How Tall are Buildings A and B Using Trigonometry?

• MHB
  • Thread starter xyz_1965
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, Building A and Building B have different designs, layouts, and purposes. Building A is designed for commercial use, while Building B is designed for residential use. On average, it takes around 2-3 years to construct both buildings. Both buildings have been designed with sustainability in mind, incorporating energy-efficient features and eco-friendly materials. They also have amenities such as fitness centers, swimming pools, and green spaces. Strict safety protocols, including regular fire drills and security systems, are in place for both buildings.
xyz_1965
Buildings A and B are across the street from each other, 35m apart. From a point on the roof of Building A, the angle of elevation to the top of Building B is 24°, and the angle of depression of the base of Building B is 34°. How tall is each building?

Let x = height of building A.

tan(34°) = x/35

tan(34°)(35) = x

23.61 m = x

I will round off to the nearest ones to get 24 m = x.

Let y = height of building B.

tan(24°) = y/35

tan(24°)(35) = y

15.6 = y

I will round to the nearest ones to get 16 m = y.

Building A is 24 meters tall.
Building B is (24 + 16) or 40 m.

Is any of this right? I have a few more questions to post throughout the day. Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi xyz_1965, welcome to MHB!

Yes, your answers to both parts of the problem are correct, well done! Just that if I were you, I would not round the answers to the nearest integer, I would keep both answers correct to 1 or 2 decimal places to avoid round-off error.

anemone said:
Hi xyz_1965, welcome to MHB!

Yes, your answers to both parts of the problem are correct, well done! Just that if I were you, I would not round the answers to the nearest integer, I would keep both answers correct to 1 or 2 decimal places to avoid round-off error.

Thanks for the tip.

1. What is the purpose of Building A and B?

Building A and B serve as research and development facilities for our company. They house laboratories, testing equipment, and offices for our team of scientists and engineers.

2. How were Building A and B designed and constructed?

Building A and B were designed by a team of architects and engineers, taking into consideration the specific needs and requirements of our research projects. The construction process involved using state-of-the-art materials and techniques to ensure the buildings are safe, efficient, and environmentally friendly.

3. What kind of research is conducted in Building A and B?

Building A and B are used for a wide range of research projects, including but not limited to pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, materials science, and renewable energy. Our goal is to continuously push the boundaries of scientific discovery and innovation.

4. Can the public visit Building A and B?

Unfortunately, due to the sensitive nature of our research, Building A and B are not open to the public. However, we do offer occasional tours and educational programs for students and other interested groups.

5. How do Building A and B contribute to society?

Building A and B play a crucial role in advancing scientific knowledge and developing new technologies that have the potential to improve people's lives. Our research has led to breakthroughs in medicine, energy efficiency, and sustainable materials, among others.