Building an infrared heater element

In summary, an infrared heating element can be made using nickel-chromium resistance wire, regular toaster wire, or glass. You can also use a wire mesh to avoid poking your fingers, and a blanket to increase the heat transfer.
privitmj
So, as the title describes, I am trying to build an infrared heating element for my own heating panel. I want to use this heater to cure an epoxy at 350F that is about 5" away. I'm an EE so the wiring and such will be simple but the heating calculations are beyond my area of expertise. Here is my train of thought so far:

1. I want to use nickel-chromium resistance wire to make an element.
- How do I calculate the amount of heat this wire will give off?
- I am told that I need a watt density of 7 watts/in2 for my application. I want
the heater panel to have a heating surface of 15"x15" so depending on the
diameter and resistance of the wire i can pick the correct size amount of wire.
- Can I use this wire bare? I know there are different types of heaters but I don't know
if I've ever seen one with just bare wire as a heating element.
- Most companies use either a glass or fiber glass face to cover the element (basically
for protection purposes I'm told). Does this effect my heating capabilities?

2. What are my other options as far as creating a heating element go?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lets see
15x15 = 225 sq inches
7 watts/ sq inch
gives 1575 watts
if that is the understanding of stipulation you have mentioned

A regular toaster for your kitchen has bare wire.

You can use glass ( make sure it is the correct type of glass for thermal application and not regular window pane glass ) or a wire mesh so you can't poke your fingers inside.
With glass you also canot poke a stick or metal rod inside, which may be regulatory if you plan on marketing and selling your device.

Yes, the watt density is easy to calculate. I was trying to figure out what temp I had to get the coil to in order to get my epoxy (about 5") away up to temperature. I did find the answer to that question though.

Does anyone know what type of heat transfer I'll get if I wrap the coil in a cermaic or fiberglass woven blanket? I assume the blanket will need to be heated via conduction and then the blanket becomes the infrared radiator?

1. What is an infrared heater element and how does it work?

An infrared heater element is a heating element that emits infrared radiation, which is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is invisible to the human eye. This radiation is absorbed by objects and converted into heat, warming up the surrounding area. Infrared heaters work by using a filament or ceramic element that is heated by electricity and emits infrared radiation.

2. What are the benefits of using an infrared heater element?

One of the main benefits of using an infrared heater element is energy efficiency. Infrared heaters only heat the objects and people in their direct line of sight, rather than heating the entire room like traditional heaters. They also provide quick and even heating, are silent, and do not dry out the air like other heating methods.

3. How do I choose the right size and wattage for my infrared heater element?

The size and wattage of an infrared heater element will depend on the size of the room or space you want to heat. Generally, you will need 10 watts of heating power for every square foot of space. For example, a 1500 watt infrared heater can effectively heat a room of 150 square feet.

4. Are there any safety considerations when using an infrared heater element?

As with any heating element, there are safety considerations to keep in mind when using an infrared heater element. Make sure to keep the heater at least 3 feet away from flammable materials and do not leave it unattended. It is also recommended to have a smoke detector in the room and to regularly check the heater for any damage.

5. Can an infrared heater element be used outdoors?

Yes, infrared heaters can be used outdoors, but it is important to choose a heater specifically designed for outdoor use. These heaters are usually more durable and weather-resistant. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when using an outdoor infrared heater element.