Bursting strength and compressive strength of cardboard tubes

In summary, a cardboard tube can take a lot of weight before it bursts, but it can't handle as much weight as a water bottle from the side.
LT72884
Ok, i have been searching the google for about an hour and have come up dry. I am trying to either test at home or find some actual numbers for how much inner pressure a thin walled (3mm) cardboard tube take before it bursts? IE like filling it with water and then it pops.
Second, im looking for numbers for how much weight the side of the same cardboard tube can handle like squishing it like a water bottle from the sides. IE cardboard tube is laying on its side and weight is loaded onto it. This one i could do at home, BUT i only have one tube and its much needed for something else so i can ruin it.

Just wondering if someone has any numbers for me:)

thanks in advanced

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the first part can be answered by knowing the tensile strength of the cardboard. A tube is often made from a strip wound in a helix, because internal pressure tends to split along the length of the tube, and the seam would make a weak point.

The second question is more difficult, there will be an initial increasing deflection, but that will be followed by a collapse when the cardboard folds.

Likes russ_watters and LT72884
After working in a paper mill for ten years, a company that makes the machines to make cardboard for five years, then 16 years for a company that makes paper converting machinery, I can tell you the answer. Paper properties vary widely. The mechanical properties of a piece of paper depend on the type of fiber, how well the fibers are bonded, the average directions of the fibers (paper properties vary with direction), the density of the paper, the total thickness, and the bonding of the layers.

There are no standard published mechanical properties for paper, so you have to measure it yourself. Measuring allowable side loading should be possible if you limit the maximum deflection to the elastic range. Skill is required to do this.

• Informative
Likes ChemAir, russ_watters, Tom.G and 3 others
jrmichler said:
After working in a paper mill for ten years, a company that makes the machines to make cardboard for five years, then 16 years for a company that makes paper converting machinery, I can tell you the answer. Paper properties vary widely. The mechanical properties of a piece of paper depend on the type of fiber, how well the fibers are bonded, the average directions of the fibers (paper properties vary with direction), the density of the paper, the total thickness, and the bonding of the layers.

There are no standard published mechanical properties for paper, so you have to measure it yourself. Measuring allowable side loading should be possible if you limit the maximum deflection to the elastic range. Skill is required to do this.
Perfect. I will see if i can test it at home and go from here. this does help me a lot believe it or not. thanks for the information

Likes jrmichler, Tom.G, erobz and 1 other person

1. What is bursting strength of cardboard tubes?

Bursting strength is a measure of the maximum pressure or force that a cardboard tube can withstand before it ruptures or bursts.

2. How is bursting strength measured?

Bursting strength is typically measured by applying pressure to a section of the cardboard tube until it bursts. The pressure is recorded and used to calculate the bursting strength in pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

3. What factors affect the bursting strength of cardboard tubes?

The bursting strength of cardboard tubes can be affected by several factors, including the type and quality of the cardboard used, the thickness and diameter of the tube, and the manufacturing process.

4. What is compressive strength of cardboard tubes?

Compressive strength is a measure of the maximum load or weight that a cardboard tube can support without collapsing or deforming.

5. How is compressive strength different from bursting strength?

While bursting strength measures the maximum pressure a cardboard tube can withstand before bursting, compressive strength measures the maximum weight it can support before collapsing. Compressive strength is typically lower than bursting strength since it takes into account the weight of the tube itself.