Calc Male & Female Cattle Pop Growth Rates: 30 Heifers, 100% Fert/Surv

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the number of male and female cattle produced over a period of five and ten years, starting with an initial stock of 30 heifers. It is assumed that the heifers are first joined at 18 months of age and the first calf is born when the mother is 27 months old. The population growth rate for females is calculated at 50% per year, but the formula for male and female population growth rates is unknown. The speaker decides to close the topic as they have already worked out a more complex scenario manually.
audax1
I want to estimate the number of male and female cattle produced over a period of time (say, five years and ten years) from an initial stock of 30 heifers, all 18 months of age at which age they are first joined (mated). Assume that the first calf is born when the mother is 27 months old. Thereafter, a new calf is born every two years. Assume also 100% fertility and survival, new-born calves are 50% male, 50% female and all females are joined at 18 months.

If all calves were female, a birth every two years would be a population growth rate of 50% pa and the calculation would be simple but I don't know how to devise the formulae for female population growth rate and male population growth rate. Can you help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It appears that nobody is interested in this topic so I'll close it down. I actually have a much more complicated scenario than I've described and I worked it all out manually so I now don't need any help.

But this looks to be a really useful and interesting site. I'm sure I'll be back.

What is the formula for calculating male and female cattle population growth rates?

The formula for calculating male and female cattle population growth rates is: (Number of heifers x 100) / (Number of fertile and surviving heifers).

How do you determine the number of heifers in the population?

The number of heifers in the population can be determined by counting the total number of female cattle that have not yet given birth.

What does a 100% fertility and survival rate mean?

A 100% fertility and survival rate means that all of the heifers in the population are capable of reproducing and will survive until they give birth.

How do you calculate the population growth rate for male and female cattle?

The population growth rate for male and female cattle can be calculated by dividing the number of heifers by the number of fertile and surviving heifers, and then multiplying by 100.

What factors can affect the population growth rate of male and female cattle?

Some factors that can affect the population growth rate of male and female cattle include changes in environmental conditions, availability of resources such as food and water, and disease outbreaks.