Calculate angle AEC and ADC

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adc Angle
You may determine an expression for any of these three angles, but its value remains unknown. Thus, you can not determine all the angles in the given diagram.In summary, the given diagram shows a tangent line ##ECF## intersecting a chord ##AC##. Using the alternate segment theorem, it can be determined that angles ##∠ABC## and ##∠ACF## are equal to ##88^0##. It can also be determined that angles ##∠EBC## and ##∠ADC## are equal to ##92^0##. However, the values of angles ##∠ACD## , ##∠CAD## , and ##∠DCF## remain unknown, despite being able to determine expressions
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Deductive Geometry- Alternate segment theorem
Question;

1665293177519.png

Text Solution;

1665293221966.png

My reasoning;
##∠ABC= 180^0 -(32^0+60^0)##
=##88^0##

##∠ABC=∠ACF=88^0## (Alternate segment theorem).

##∠EBC=92^0## i.e angles lying on a straight line and ##∠BCE=180^0 -(88^0+60^0)=32^0## therefore;
##∠BEC=180^0 -(32^0+92^0)=56^0##
##∠ECA=∠ADC=32^0+60^0=92^0## (by Alternate segment theorem).

Cheers...there may be another way of looking at this...

Likes Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding ##∠EBC=92^0##:
Doesn't the problem figure contradicts the fact that an angle inscribed across a circle's diameter is always a right angle?

Lnewqban said:
Regarding ##∠EBC=92^0##:
Doesn't the problem figure contradicts the fact that an angle inscribed across a circle's diameter is always a right angle?
...but we are not told if ##AC## is the diameter of the circle. We have only been given an indication of the tangent line, that is line ##ECF##.

Likes Lnewqban
Lnewqban said:
Regarding ##∠EBC=92^0##:
AC isn't a diameter, that was never mentioned

Likes chwala
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: See attached
Relevant Equations:: Deductive Geometry- Alternate segment theorem

Question;

View attachment 315298

Text Solution;

View attachment 315299

My reasoning;
##∠ABC= 180^0 -(32^0+60^0)##
=##88^0##

##∠ABC=∠ACF=88^0## (Alternate segment theorem).

##∠EBC=92^0## i.e angles lying on a straight line and ##∠BCE=180^0 -(88^0+60^0)=32^0## therefore;
##∠BEC=180^0 -(32^0+92^0)=56^0##
##∠ECA=∠ADC=32^0+60^0=92^0## (by Alternate segment theorem).

Cheers...there may be another way of looking at this...
You are correct that angles ##∠ACF=88^\circ## and ##∠EBC=92^\circ## .
However, your reasoning leading to determining angle ##∠BCE## is faulty, because you do not know a value for angle ##∠ACF## either.

An angle you can easily determine is ##∠ADC##. (There's a cyclic quadrilateral involved.)

SammyS said:
You are correct that angles ##∠ACF=88^\circ## and ##∠EBC=92^\circ## .
However, your reasoning leading to determining angle ##∠BCE## is faulty, because you do not know a value for angle ##∠ACF## either.

An angle you can easily determine is ##∠ADC##. (There's a cyclic quadrilateral involved.)
@sammy but we know that ##∠ECA=∠ADC## using the alternate segment theorem. Angle ##BCE=32^0.## I do not need ##∠ACF## to determine this.

Last edited:
...Just thinking is it possible to determine all the angles in the given diagram? my thinking is as shown on the diagram below;

My reasoning being ##∠EBC## is similar to ##∠ADC## they have a common angle i.e ##92^0##.

##∠CAD=DCF=BEC=56^0##

##∠ACD=88^0 - ∠DCF=32^0##

Attachments

• math diagram.png
    math diagram.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 83
chwala said:
@sammy but we know that ##∠ECA=∠ADC## using the alternate segment theorem. Angle ##BCE=32^0.## I do not need ##∠ACF## to determine this.
Apologies !

I overlooked your reasoning establishing that ##∠ABC=∠ACF## .

Likes chwala
chwala said:
...Just thinking is it possible to determine all the angles in the given diagram? my thinking is as shown on the diagram below;

My reasoning being ##∠EBC## is similar to ##∠ADC## they have a common angle i.e ##92^0##.

##∠CAD=DCF=BEC=56^0##

##∠ACD=88^0 - ∠DCF=32^0##

math-diagram-png.png
Yes, ##∠CAD=∠DCF## .

But no, you can not determine ##∠ACD## , ##∠CAD## , nor ##∠DCF## .

1. How do I calculate angle AEC?

To calculate angle AEC, you will need to use the formula: angle AEC = 180 - (angle EAC + angle ECA). This formula is based on the fact that the sum of the angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees.

2. What information do I need to calculate angle ADC?

To calculate angle ADC, you will need to know the lengths of sides AC and CD, as well as the length of the diagonal AD. This information can be used to apply the Law of Cosines, which states that in a triangle, the square of one side is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of the two sides multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them.

3. Can I use a calculator to calculate these angles?

Yes, you can use a calculator to calculate these angles. However, it is important to make sure that your calculator is set to the correct angle mode (degrees or radians) before using any trigonometric functions.

4. Are there any other methods for calculating these angles?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating these angles, such as using the Law of Sines or the Pythagorean Theorem. However, the most efficient and accurate method will depend on the specific information and measurements given in the problem.

5. Why is it important to calculate these angles?

Calculating angles AEC and ADC can be important in various fields of science, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. These angles can help determine the shape and orientation of objects, as well as aid in solving various geometric and trigonometric problems.