Calculate Lowest Interest on Different Loans

• Thread starter spynjr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loans
In summary, the conversation discussed how to pay off loans with differing amounts and interest rates in order to achieve the lowest possible interest payable. The suggested method is to pay off the loan with the highest interest rate first, followed by the next-highest rate, and so on. If there are equal payments, a formula can be used to compare the amount of interest paid under different loan amounts and interest rates. It was also suggested to use a loan calculator for more accurate results.
spynjr
Hi all

Just wondering if someone could help me out this...

I have two loans of differing amounts and interest rates.

I have x amount of dollars that I want to pay on each loan to achieve the lowest possible interest payable.

How can I work it out?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If there are no fees or minimum payments, put all the money toward the one with the higher interest until it's payed off, then pay off the next-highest rate, etc. In most practical cases with minimum payments, make the minimum payment to all but the one with the highest rate and then put all you can toward that one (beyond its minimum).

And if there are n equal payments...

The amount of interest paid over the life of the loan under ideal circumstances (e.g., no extra fees) is given by
[tex]P\left( \frac{ni/12}{1-(1+i/12)^{-n}}-1\right) [/tex]

P is the amount borrowed, n is the number of payments, and i is the annual interest rate as a decimal. So this formula can be used to compare amount of interest paid under two different P's and i's. This is assuming there is a payment every month. n would be 12t where t is the number of years.

Also try googling for a loan calculator... Not sure if you just want the answer or how it was arrived at (although I haven't said where the formula I stated came from).

Related to Calculate Lowest Interest on Different Loans

What is the definition of "interest" on a loan?

The interest on a loan is the additional amount of money that is charged on top of the borrowed amount. It is a percentage of the principal amount and is typically paid back along with the principal in regular installments over a set period of time.

How do you calculate the lowest interest on different loans?

To calculate the lowest interest on different loans, you need to first determine the principal amount, the interest rate, and the loan term. Then, you can use a formula or an online calculator to determine the total amount of interest that will be paid over the loan term. Finally, compare the results for different loan options to find the one with the lowest interest.

What factors affect the interest rate on a loan?

The interest rate on a loan is affected by a variety of factors, including the borrower's credit score, the loan amount, the loan term, and the type of loan. Lenders also take into consideration the current market conditions and their own policies when determining the interest rate for a loan.

How can I negotiate for a lower interest rate on a loan?

If you are trying to negotiate for a lower interest rate on a loan, it is important to have a good credit score and a stable income. You can also shop around and compare offers from different lenders to find the best interest rate. Additionally, you can try negotiating directly with the lender by providing proof of your creditworthiness and discussing any potential discounts or promotions.

Is it better to have a fixed or variable interest rate on a loan?

The answer to this question depends on your personal financial situation and risk tolerance. A fixed interest rate remains the same throughout the loan term, providing stability and predictability in terms of payments. On the other hand, a variable interest rate can fluctuate based on market conditions, potentially resulting in lower or higher payments. It is important to carefully consider your options and consult with a financial advisor before deciding on a fixed or variable interest rate.