Calculate maximum weight box can hold

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help in calculating the maximum weight a tape can hold when attached to a cardboard box. The force on the tape is equal to the weight of the object inside the box and the tensile strength of the tape is not the only determining factor. The strength of the glue used to attach the tape to the cardboard is also important. One suggestion is to conduct an experiment by incrementally adding weights to the box until the tape fails to get an idea of the strength of the bond.
type47
hi,
This is probably very simple issue, but i am not an engineer nor have an understanding of basic physic... I need to calculate if the tape used to connect (sealed) to ends of the cardboard box will withstand the weight of the product i put inside it. I have a tape properties (tensile strength etc.). i just don't know how to calculate maximum weight i can put inside.
Can anyone help please?
Thank you very much

Engineering news on Phys.org
the force on the tape is the weight of the object in the box

tensile stress = force / areaHowever, the tensile strength of the tape is not the determining factor!

How good is the glue. A very strong tape weakly bonded will fail.

Thank you William. So if I could measure somehow how strong is the tape when glued on the cardboard that should give me an indication on how strong is the glue right?

yes, if this is an experiment you could do that.

Tape the box shut, and incrementally add weights until the tape failed. That will give you a sense of the strength of the bond

Related to Calculate maximum weight box can hold

1. How do you calculate the maximum weight a box can hold?

To calculate the maximum weight a box can hold, you will need to know the box's dimensions, material, and strength. You can then use a formula, such as the Euler buckling formula, to determine the maximum weight the box can hold without collapsing or deforming.

2. What factors affect the maximum weight a box can hold?

The maximum weight a box can hold is affected by its dimensions, material, and strength. The dimensions of the box determine its surface area and volume, while the material and strength determine its load-bearing capacity.

3. How does the material of the box affect its maximum weight capacity?

The material of the box is a crucial factor in determining its maximum weight capacity. Different materials have varying levels of strength and load-bearing capabilities. For example, a cardboard box will have a lower maximum weight capacity compared to a steel box of the same size and dimensions.

4. Can the maximum weight a box can hold be increased?

Yes, the maximum weight a box can hold can be increased by using stronger materials or increasing the box's dimensions. However, it is important to note that there will always be a limit to how much weight a box can hold without compromising its structural integrity.

5. What are some safety precautions to consider when calculating the maximum weight a box can hold?

When calculating the maximum weight a box can hold, it is essential to consider the box's load-bearing capacity and not exceed it. It is also important to evenly distribute the weight inside the box to prevent it from collapsing or tipping over. Additionally, the box's condition and any potential weak spots should be inspected before use to ensure safe handling and transportation of the box.