Calculate Phasors of Current with 3 Capacitors

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating phasors of current through three different capacitors in a circuit, given the supply voltage, frequency, and capacitor values. The possibility was questioned, but it was confirmed that there are formulas for adding series and parallel capacitors and converting capacitance into impedance. The individual's approach of adding the parallel capacitors, then adding that impedance to the series capacitor, and finally dividing by the supply voltage to get the supply current and individual currents through each capacitor was deemed correct.
JI567
Is it possible to calculate phasors of current through 3 different capacitors in a circuit? The Supply voltage is given and the frequency is given. I was also given all the 3 capacitor values. Two of the capacitors are connected in parallel and the result of that in series with the remaining capacitor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you question the possibility?

It was a question I needed to answer few months ago but didn't know this forum then. Just want to clarify for the future. I still have a picture if you want to have a look.

upload_2014-11-9_17-14-45.png

It is certainly possible. There is a formula for adding series and parallel capacitors. There is also a formula for converting capacitance into impedance and then a formula for adding series and parallel impedances. Are you familiar with them?

Yeah. I added the parallel capacitors and added them up and wrote it as one impedence Z1. Then I added this impedence with the capacitor in series and got a total impedence Z2. Z2 came out as complex obviously and then I divided 10 V by the total impedence to get the Supply current. Then I multiplied Z1 by the Is to get the voltage across the parallel capacitors. So once I had the voltage I divided it by the impedence of each of the capacitors in parallel and getting I1 and I2. Supply current being the current for the 10 nanofarade as its in series. All of them were complex so I got the modulus and angle was +90 degree for all of the three currents. Correct me if I am wrong and if I am correct then just let me know...

Without checking the math, your approach sounds correct.

Related to Calculate Phasors of Current with 3 Capacitors

1. How do I calculate the phasors of current with 3 capacitors?

To calculate the phasors of current with 3 capacitors, you will need to use the formula I = V/Z where I is the current, V is the voltage, and Z is the impedance. First, determine the total impedance of the circuit, which is equal to the sum of the individual impedances of the capacitors. Then, using Ohm's Law, calculate the current by dividing the voltage by the total impedance. This current will be the same for all three capacitors.

2. What is the difference between phasor current and regular current?

Phasor current is a complex number that represents the amplitude and phase of the alternating current. It takes into account the frequency and phase shift of the current, while regular current only measures the magnitude of the current at a specific moment in time. Phasor current is useful for analyzing AC circuits, while regular current is used for DC circuits.

3. How do I represent capacitors in a phasor diagram?

In a phasor diagram, capacitors are represented by a vector pointing in the opposite direction of the current flow, with a length proportional to the capacitive reactance. The angle of the vector represents the phase shift between the voltage and current. This diagram is useful for visualizing the relationships between voltage, current, and impedance in a circuit.

4. Can I use the same formula for calculating phasors with different numbers of capacitors?

Yes, the formula for calculating phasors of current with capacitors can be used for any number of capacitors in a circuit. The only difference will be the total impedance, which will change based on the number of capacitors and their individual impedances. However, the process of calculating the current using the voltage and impedance remains the same.

5. How can I use phasors to simplify circuit analysis?

Phasor analysis is a useful tool for simplifying circuit analysis because it allows for the representation of complex AC circuits in a more manageable way. By converting voltages and currents to phasors, calculations involving complex numbers and trigonometric functions can be reduced to simple algebra. This makes it easier to determine the currents, voltages, and power in a circuit without having to consider the time-dependent behavior of AC signals.