Calculate probability of getting 2 red balls

In summary, the conversation discusses a probability problem involving drawing 2 red balls out of a jar with 10 blue balls and 2 red balls. The solution involves listing all possible combinations and finding their probabilities. However, there are other methods such as using conditional probability and numbering the balls to simplify the problem.
beamthegreat
Hi, I'm struggling with a basic probability question and I need some insight into this problem. I can solve the problem, but its a really inefficient and time consuming way.

The problem: There are 10 blue balls and 2 red balls in a jar. Calculate the probability of drawing 2 red balls if 4 balls are drawn.My solution:

The probability of getting RRBB is

2/12 * 1/11 * 1 * 1

And the probability of getting RBRB is

2/12 * 10/11 * 1/10 * 1

Then find the probability BRRB, BBRR, RBBR, and sum all of them up to get the answer.
Is there a better way to solve this problem?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Look how the denominators relate in each situation. So when there is a 1, treat as 10/10 or 9/9 .

scottdave said:
Look how the denominators relate in each situation. So when there is a 1, treat as 10/10 or 9/9 .

Sorry, I don't really understand what you mean. Is there some kind of pattern I'm missing? I was thinking of shortcuts I can use like the combinations/permutation formula.

OK i think I get what you mean. In all cases, the value is 0.01515151515 so I just multiply that by 5. But in harder problems I don't think listing all the possible combinations is feasible.

Do you know conditional probability?

beamthegreat said:
OK i think I get what you mean. In all cases, the value is 0.01515151515 so I just multiply that by 5. But in harder problems I don't think listing all the possible combinations is feasible.
There are more cases.
How many ways are there to choose 2 (e.g. red balls) out of 4 (total number of draws)? You can find this number without listing all cases individually.

beamthegreat said:
Sorry, I don't really understand what you mean. Is there some kind of pattern I'm missing? I was thinking of shortcuts I can use like the combinations/permutation formula.

One idea with these problems is to imagine that the balls are numbered. E.g. suppose the red balls are numbered 1 & 2 and the blue balls are numbered 3-12.

Note that with this approach you can see that every permutation is equally likely. E.g. 6, 8, 1, 9 is just as likely as 11, 3, 4, 12 etc.

You need any permutation that includes 1 & 2.

A) You need to count how many permutations there are.
B) You need to count how many permutations include 1 & 2.

The probability you are looking for is, therefore, B/A.

There are, of course, other ways to do these problems, but numbering balls is often a good idea to clarify things.

What does "calculate probability" mean?

Calculating probability means finding the likelihood of a specific outcome occurring in a given situation. In this case, it refers to determining the chances of getting 2 red balls from a set of balls.

How do you calculate the probability of getting 2 red balls?

The probability of getting 2 red balls can be calculated by dividing the number of ways to get 2 red balls by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as P(2 red balls) = number of ways to get 2 red balls / total number of outcomes.

What information do I need to calculate the probability of getting 2 red balls?

To calculate the probability of getting 2 red balls, you need to know the total number of balls in the set and the number of red balls in the set. These numbers will be used to determine the number of ways to get 2 red balls and the total number of outcomes.

Can the probability of getting 2 red balls be greater than 1?

No, the probability of getting 2 red balls cannot be greater than 1. This is because a probability of 1 represents a 100% chance of an event occurring, and it is not possible to have a probability greater than 1.

Is it possible to calculate the probability of getting 2 red balls without knowing the total number of balls in the set?

No, it is not possible to calculate the probability of getting 2 red balls without knowing the total number of balls in the set. This information is necessary to determine the total number of outcomes and the number of ways to get 2 red balls.