Calculate the distance travelled in a moving circumference?

In summary, the conversation discusses a rotating and translating circumference and how to derive a function to calculate the path of a point on it. It is suggested to use the known velocity to calculate the speed at every point in time and integrate it to find the length of the path. However, it is noted that the integral may be challenging to evaluate analytically. The possibility of using elliptic integrals of the second type is also mentioned.
pabilbado
Gold Member
First of all I don't mean a rotating circumference, but rather a translating one which is also rotating. Like this one: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/4vdymlzgpp just play the p button. I understand that the x component of the movement is:
68a939b26317c5080be80eeb341f5591.png
and Y=
4d939c3651eddfe42a77fb0ccf1e852d.png
(where v is the radius, s is the angular frequency, p is time a t is the velocity of the circunference.) How can I derive a function that allows me to calculate the path the point has taken?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You know the velocity, so you can calculate the speed at every point in time. Integrating this will give the length of the path. The integral might be hard to evaluate analytically.

Likes pabilbado
mfb said:
You know the velocity, so you can calculate the speed at every point in time. Integrating this will give the length of the path. The integral might be hard to evaluate analytically.
So, if I just change some things like: The velocity on the x-axis =
339514d736b412d7db223e0f96038770.png
and the velocity on the y-axis =
929d2c743d37a5b0d45b2783d2ef838f.png
(v = maximun velocity, w is the angular frequency. x = time and m = the velocity of the circumference.) So can I write that the total velocity =
477694c6a1040292729ae86563edbbb9.png
and integrate between the periods of time I want? And to integrate this may I need to use elliptic integrals of second type?

mfb said:
Right.
Thanks a lot!

What is the formula for calculating the distance travelled in a moving circumference?

The formula for calculating the distance travelled in a moving circumference is distance = circumference x revolutions. This formula takes into account the circumference of the circle and the number of revolutions it has completed.

Is the distance travelled in a moving circumference the same as the perimeter of the circle?

No, the distance travelled in a moving circumference is not the same as the perimeter of the circle. The perimeter only measures the distance around the circle once, while the distance travelled in a moving circumference takes into account multiple revolutions.

Can the distance travelled in a moving circumference be negative?

No, the distance travelled in a moving circumference cannot be negative. It is a measure of the total distance covered by the circle, and distance cannot be negative.

How do you determine the number of revolutions in a moving circumference?

The number of revolutions in a moving circumference can be determined by dividing the distance travelled by the circumference of the circle. This will give you the number of complete revolutions the circle has made.

Can the distance travelled in a moving circumference be calculated for any shape?

No, the distance travelled in a moving circumference can only be calculated for circular shapes. Other shapes may have different formulas for calculating the distance travelled.