Calculate the position vector for 3di

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the position vector for 3di and determining if three points are collinear based on their slopes. The speaker mentions using the equation AB=BC and finding the slopes of the vectors AB, AC, and BC. They also mention their calculated answer for the position vector and wanting to know if the points are collinear.
homeworkhelpls
Homework Statement
Calculate the position vector for 3di
Relevant Equations
none
1666203391797.png

for 3di i did the normal AB=BC so b-a would give either satisfy or not this phenomenon, my answer was (3a-1, -4) & (2a^2 + a - 1, 4a - 2), now how would i know from here if they're collinear or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
homeworkhelpls said:
Homework Statement:: Calculate the position vector for 3di
Relevant Equations:: none

View attachment 315775
for 3di i did the normal AB=BC so b-a would give either satisfy or not this phenomenon, my answer was (3a-1, -4) & (2a^2 + a - 1, 4a - 2), now how would i know from here if they're collinear or not?
I don't know what you mean by "I did the normal AB = AC." The word "normal" usually means perpendicular.
Look at the slopes of the vectors AB, AC, and BC. I've already determined that the slopes of AB and AC are equal. If the slope of vector BC is equal to the other two slopes, then all three points are collinear -- i.e., lie on the same line.

Likes homeworkhelpls and jim mcnamara

1. What is a position vector?

A position vector is a mathematical representation of the position of a point in space relative to a chosen reference point. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing from the reference point to the point in question, and its magnitude and direction indicate the distance and direction of the point from the reference point.

2. How is a position vector calculated?

A position vector is calculated by subtracting the coordinates of the reference point from the coordinates of the point in question. For example, if the reference point has coordinates (x1, y1, z1) and the point in question has coordinates (x2, y2, z2), the position vector would be (x2-x1, y2-y1, z2-z1).

3. What does the "3di" represent in the position vector?

The "3di" in the position vector represents the three-dimensional nature of the vector. The "3" indicates that the vector has three components (x, y, and z), and the "i" represents the direction of the vector in the x-axis. This can be replaced with "j" for the y-axis and "k" for the z-axis.

4. Why is a position vector important in science?

Position vectors are important in science because they allow us to precisely describe the position of objects in space. This is crucial in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, where accurate measurements of distance and direction are necessary for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects.

5. Can a position vector have negative components?

Yes, a position vector can have negative components. This indicates that the point in question is located in the negative direction of that particular axis relative to the reference point. For example, if the x-component of the position vector is -5, it means that the point is 5 units to the left of the reference point on the x-axis.