Calculate work done by variable force

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the work done by a variable force, with the given equations and a question about the validity of a substitution. The work is calculated using the integral of the force and displacement, and the final equation is simplified. The question is answered and confirmed.
Yalanhar
Is my solution correct?

$$ F(t) = at + b $$$$W=\int_t F(t)dr, ~~~~~~~~~ ~~dr = v(t)dt$$$$W=\int_t F(t)\cdot v(t) dt$$ $$ f = \frac{dp}{dt}$$
therefore $$v(t) = \frac{1}{m}(at^2/2+bt)$$then $$W = \int_t \frac{at+b}{m}\cdot\left(\frac{at^2}{2}+bt\right)dt$$ $$W = \frac{1}{m}\int_t \frac{a^2t^3}{2}+abt^2+\frac{abt^2}{2}+b^2tdt$$ $$W =\frac{1}{m}\left(\frac{a^2t^4}{8}+\frac{abt^3}{3}+\frac{abt^3}{6}+\frac{b^2t^2}{2}\right)$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Yalanhar said:
Summary:: I want to calculate the work done in t by a variable force that follows:
F(t) = at+b

Is my solution correct?

$$ F(t) = at + b $$$$W=\int_t F(t)dr, ~~~~~~~~~ ~~dr = v(t)dt$$$$W=\int_t F(t)\cdot v(t) dt$$ $$ f = \frac{dp}{dt}$$
therefore $$v(t) = \frac{1}{m}(at^2/2+bt)$$then $$W = \int_t \frac{at+b}{m}\cdot\left(\frac{at^2}{2}+bt\right)dt$$ $$W = \frac{1}{m}\int_t \frac{a^2t^3}{2}+abt^2+\frac{abt^2}{2}+b^2tdt$$ $$W =\frac{1}{m}\left(\frac{a^2t^4}{8}+\frac{abt^3}{3}+\frac{abt^3}{6}+\frac{b^2t^2}{2}\right)$$
is v =0 at t = 0? In addition, what is your question?

Chestermiller said:
is v =0 at t = 0? In addition, what is your question?
Yes
Calculate the work done by that force after time t

Yalanhar said:
Yes
Calculate the work done by that force after time t
So your question is whether you did the math right?

Chestermiller said:
So your question is whether you did the math right?
Well, yes. I don't know if can change dr to v(t)dt

Yalanhar said:
Well, yes. I don't know if can change dr to v(t)dt
Sure, that’s perfectly ok.

Likes Yalanhar
Chestermiller said:
Sure, that’s perfectly ok.
Tnks

What is the formula for calculating work done by a variable force?

The formula for calculating work done by a variable force is W = ∫F(x)dx, where W is the work done, F(x) is the variable force, and dx is the displacement.

How do you determine the direction of the work done by a variable force?

The direction of the work done by a variable force can be determined by the direction of the displacement. If the displacement is in the same direction as the force, the work done is positive. If the displacement is in the opposite direction of the force, the work done is negative.

What units are used to measure work done by a variable force?

The SI unit for work is joule (J). However, in some cases, other units such as Newton-meter (N*m) or foot-pound (ft*lb) may also be used to measure work.

Can the work done by a variable force be negative?

Yes, the work done by a variable force can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of the displacement.

How does the work done by a variable force differ from the work done by a constant force?

The work done by a variable force takes into account the changing force over a given displacement, while the work done by a constant force only considers the magnitude of the force. Additionally, the work done by a variable force can be positive or negative, while the work done by a constant force is always positive.