Calculating a mean related to a continuous random variable

In summary, the producer will not spend any extra dollars on average, but if the volume is more than 5.5, then the mean volume is 5.6 and the extra cost is 0.01 cents.
archaic
Homework Statement
We are filling some liquid in multiple containers. The volume poured is uniformly distributed between 5.1 and 5.7 deciliters. Every centiliter costs 0.01 dollar.
Knowing that any centiliter added beyond 5.5 deciliters represents an extra cost for the producer, what is the mean of this extra cost?
Relevant Equations
N/A
I am not sure about how to approach this.
Since the volume is uniformly distributed, the mean volume is ##(5.7+5.1)/2=5.4##, which is less than ##5.5##. From this, I could say that, on average, the producer won't spend any extra dollars.

But then I thought that maybe I should interpret this as the average if we only consider the cases where the volume is more than ##5.5##, so that my random variable is now ##5.5\leq X\leq 5.7##.
If so, my new mean is ##5.6##, which is just one centiliter above the lower-bound volume for there being an extra cost, resulting in a mean of ##0.01##$.
Or maybe ##\int_{5.5}^{5.7}\left[0.01(x-5.5)\right]f(x)dx##, where ##f(x)## is the pdf?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your relevant equations box is missing the definiiton of the expectation of a function of a continuous random variable [itex]X[/itex] taking values in an event space [itex]\Omega[/itex]: [tex]
E(f(X)) = \int_{\Omega} f(x) p(x)\,dx[/tex] where [itex]p[/itex] is the PDF of [itex]X[/itex].

In this case, the extra cost is given by [tex]
f(V) = \begin{cases} 0 & V \leq 55 \\
0.01(V - 55) & V > 55\end{cases}[/tex] where [itex]V \sim U(51,57)[/itex] is in centiliters.

Likes etotheipi
pasmith said:
$$f(V) = \begin{cases} 0 & V \leq 55 \\
0.01(V - 55) & V > 55\end{cases}$$

Why don't we just have ##f(V) = 0.01(V-55)## across the whole ##51 \leq V \leq 57##? Wouldn't a negative ##f(V)## would just be money saved by not filling the container up enough, and integrating up with the p.d.f. would result in you expecting to spend actually less than if all containers were ##V=55## exactly?

etotheipi said:
Why don't we just have ##f(V) = 0.01(V-55)## across the whole ##51 \leq V \leq 57##? Wouldn't a negative ##f(V)## would just be money saved by not filling it up enough?
I think becuase the question asks for expectation of "extra cost" (due to a container having more than 55 cl), not "cost".

It is of course true that this extra cost is completely offset by the "extra saving" resulting from short-filling a container with less than 53 cl.

Likes etotheipi
I agree the way I read the question you don't get to win the cost back when V is smaller than 55. If you're wondering how this makes sense in the real world, I would guess that the company charges the customer less if the fill it up to less than 55, but eats the extra cost if they overfill it. Or perhaps 55 is full, and they have a second machine that operates very slowly to get it to exactly 55 - if you undershoot it fills it up, and if you overshoot it has to throw the liquid out.

Likes etotheipi
pasmith said:
Your relevant equations box is missing the definiiton of the expectation of a function of a continuous random variable [itex]X[/itex] taking values in an event space [itex]\Omega[/itex]: [tex]
E(f(X)) = \int_{\Omega} f(x) p(x)\,dx[/tex] where [itex]p[/itex] is the PDF of [itex]X[/itex].

In this case, the extra cost is given by [tex]
f(V) = \begin{cases} 0 & V \leq 55 \\
0.01(V - 55) & V > 55\end{cases}[/tex] where [itex]V \sim U(51,57)[/itex] is in centiliters.
Aha, so my last guess was the correct one.
What does ##V\sim U(51,57)## mean, though?

U(51,57) is a uniform random variable distributed between 51 and 57, and V~ means V has the same distribution. The reason for using ~ instead of = is so you can write things like ##V\sim U(51,57)## and ##X\sim U(51,57)## and you haven't claimed anything about whether V and X are literally equal, or just have the same distribution (but e.g are independent, or have some other weird correlation).

Likes archaic
Office_Shredder said:
U(51,57) is a uniform random variable distributed between 51 and 57, and V~ means V has the same distribution. The reason for using ~ instead of = is so you can write things like ##V\sim U(51,57)## and ##X\sim U(51,57)## and you haven't claimed anything about whether V and X are literally equal, or just have the same distribution (but e.g are independent, or have some other weird correlation).
Thank you!

1. What is a continuous random variable?

A continuous random variable is a type of variable that can take on any numerical value within a certain range. It is usually represented by a graph or curve, and the probability of any specific value occurring is equal to the area under the curve.

2. How is the mean calculated for a continuous random variable?

The mean for a continuous random variable is calculated by taking the sum of all the possible values multiplied by their respective probabilities. This can also be expressed as the integral of the variable multiplied by its probability density function.

3. What is the difference between the mean and the expected value of a continuous random variable?

The mean and the expected value of a continuous random variable are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. The mean is a measure of central tendency and represents the average value, while the expected value takes into account the probability of each value occurring.

4. Can the mean of a continuous random variable be negative?

Yes, the mean of a continuous random variable can be negative. This is because the mean is calculated by taking into account all possible values, including negative values, and their respective probabilities.

5. How is the mean affected by changes in the probability density function of a continuous random variable?

The mean is affected by changes in the probability density function of a continuous random variable. If the probability density function is shifted to the right, the mean will also shift to the right. If the function is stretched or compressed, the mean will also be affected accordingly. However, changes in the shape of the function, such as skewness, may also impact the mean in different ways.