Calculating concenteration at equilibrium

• Thread starter harambe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the problem involves calculating the number of moles of NO2(g) present in a sealed tube under one atmospheric pressure and 25°C. The equilibrium equation is N204(g) --->2NO2(g) with a Kp value of 0.14. Converting Kp to Kc, we get Kc=0.00572. However, the volume is unknown, so a numerical answer cannot be obtained. The volume can be found using the ideal gas equation: PV = nRT.
harambe

Homework Statement

0.1mole of N2O4 (g) was sealed In a tube under one atmospheric conditions at 25°C.Calculate the number of moles of NO2(g) present if the equilibrium N204(g) --->2NO2(g) (Kp=0.14) is reached after some time

Homework Equations

K=[NO2]^2/[N2O4]
3. The attempt at the solution

N204(g) --->2NO2(g)

O. 1 0
O. 1-x x

Converting Kp into Kc gives me Kc=0.00572

Kc[NO2]^2/[N2O4]V where V is the volume

But I don't know the volume so I am not able to calculate here.. . Any hint on how to solve this

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes I think you can't get a numerical answer if you don't know V.

So just get a general answer with an expression that contains v.

harambe said:
But I don't know the volume so I am not able to calculate here.. . Any hint on how to solve this

Couldn't you find volume from the ideal gas equation: PV = nRT ?

1. What is meant by "concentration at equilibrium"?

Concentration at equilibrium refers to the amount of reactants and products present in a chemical reaction when it has reached a state where the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. This is known as dynamic equilibrium.

2. Why is it important to calculate concentration at equilibrium?

Calculating concentration at equilibrium allows us to determine the extent to which a reaction has occurred and the relative amounts of reactants and products present. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of a chemical reaction and its potential applications.

3. How do you calculate concentration at equilibrium?

The concentration at equilibrium is calculated using the equilibrium constant (K) and the initial concentrations of the reactants and products. The equation used is K = [products]^m/[reactants]^n, where m and n are the coefficients of the balanced chemical equation.

4. What factors can affect the concentration at equilibrium?

The concentration at equilibrium can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the initial concentrations of reactants and products. Adding or removing reactants or products during the reaction can also impact the concentration at equilibrium.

5. How can we determine if a reaction is at equilibrium?

A reaction is at equilibrium when the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time. This can be observed by taking multiple measurements at different time intervals and comparing the results. Additionally, the forward and reverse reactions should be occurring at the same rate at equilibrium.