Calculating coordinates of intercepts from field of view to target

In summary, the conversation is about finding the coordinates where the field of view (FOV) intercepts the flight path of a ball in a 2D plane, given the X/Y coordinates of the camera and the ball at any given time. The problem becomes more complex if the camera is able to rotate around its position, as this changes the interception coordinates. The questioner is seeking guidance on how to solve this problem, but without more information on the orientation of the camera, it is impossible to provide an answer.
jisbon
Homework Statement
Find the coordinates of the intersection between field of view and ball in motion
Relevant Equations
-
Say we are working in a 2D plane, with a camera and a ball flying past as shown.
Camera at bottom, ball flying from left to right
Given that I have the X/Y coordinates of the camera, as well as the coordinates of the ball at any given time during the 'flight', how am I supposed to calculate the coordinate where the field of view intercepts the flight path? In this case, I am trying to find the coordinate in red color.
Finding coordinate where FOV intercepts path
It is also possible for the camera to rotate around its position too, and this also changes the interception of the coordinates as shown.
Only 1 interception in this case
Any kind souls here able to give me a jumpstart on how to solve this problem? Not sure where I can start. To recap, I have the coordinates of the camera, coordinates of ball at any time, and would like to find if FOV:
  1. Both sides intercepts (if so, find both of the coordinates)
  2. One side intercept (if so, find coordinate)
  3. No intercept
2,1, and no intercepts

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
It is also possible for the camera to rotate around its position too, and this also changes the interception of the coordinates as shown.
That makes the question impossible to answer without more information. The intercept coordinates depend on the orientation of the camera.
You need to post the entire problem, including all information given, verbatim as in the question. If in doubt, photograph the entire question and post the image.

1. How do I calculate the coordinates of intercepts from the field of view to the target?

To calculate the coordinates of intercepts, you will need to know the field of view and the distance from the observer to the target. First, determine the angle of the field of view by dividing the field of view by 2. Then, use the tangent function to calculate the distance from the observer to the target. Finally, use basic trigonometry to calculate the coordinates of the intercepts.

2. What is the field of view and why is it important?

The field of view is the angular extent of the observable world that can be seen at any given moment. It is important because it helps determine the size and distance of objects within the observer's line of sight.

3. Can I calculate the coordinates of intercepts without knowing the field of view?

No, the field of view is a necessary component in calculating the coordinates of intercepts. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately determine the size and distance of objects within the observer's line of sight.

4. How does the distance from the observer to the target affect the calculation of coordinates of intercepts?

The distance from the observer to the target is a crucial factor in calculating the coordinates of intercepts. The closer the target is to the observer, the larger the field of view and the smaller the distance from the observer to the target. As the distance increases, the field of view decreases and the distance from the observer to the target increases, resulting in different coordinates of intercepts.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating coordinates of intercepts from field of view to target?

Yes, there are limitations to this calculation. It assumes that the observer and the target are at the same height and that there are no obstructions or irregularities in the terrain. It also does not take into account any atmospheric effects that may affect the accuracy of the calculation.