Calculating distance from acceleration as function of speed

In summary, the conversation is about trying to calculate the displacement of a plane as it accelerates towards lift-off velocity using the equation a = a0 - kv2, with a0 representing the constant acceleration from the plane's engine and -kv2 representing air resistance. The individual was struggling to integrate the equation in order to find the velocity and displacement of the plane, but was able to find a solution after receiving guidance.
Andrew97
I'm trying to calculate the displacement d of a plane as it accelerates towards lift-off velocity.
The acceleration is given by the function a = a0 - kv2 where a0 is the constant acceleration from the plane's engine and the term -kv2 is caused by air resistance.

I can't seem to find a way to integrate the equation above so that I get the plane's velocity nor it's displacement.

The answer is meant to be:
d = - ln (1 - kv2 / a0 ) / 2k

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Andrew, :welcome:

This homework (*) ? For the first step click 'show' here

(*) PF rules are rather strict on this. Need to use the template and show an attempt at solution and such.

BvU said:
Hello Andrew, :welcome:

This homework (*) ? For the first step click 'show' here

(*) PF rules are rather strict on this. Need to use the template and show an attempt at solution and such.

Ah, yes sorry I did not know.

I kept getting stuck because I tried moving over the velocity to the left side of the equation, and since a=dv/dt I could move over dt and integrate both sides, however I did not find a way to isolate v on the left side of the equation.

The link you sent me made me realize that the mistake I was making was that I should have divided both sides of the equation by the entire right side so that the velocity exists only on the left side of the equation allowing me to integrate both sides and proceed to solve the problem. Thank you.

What is the formula for calculating distance from acceleration as a function of speed?

The formula for calculating distance from acceleration as a function of speed is d = (v^2 - u^2)/2a, where d is the distance, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration.

How is acceleration related to speed and distance?

Acceleration is the rate of change of speed over time. It is directly related to speed, as an increase in acceleration will result in a faster increase in speed. Distance is also affected by acceleration, as a higher acceleration will result in a larger change in distance over time.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the total change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the total time, while instantaneous acceleration is found by taking the derivative of the velocity function at a specific point in time.

How does acceleration affect the motion of an object?

Acceleration determines the rate of change in an object's velocity, which in turn affects its motion. A positive acceleration will result in the object speeding up, a negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) will cause the object to slow down, and a zero acceleration will result in a constant velocity.

What are some real-life applications of calculating distance from acceleration as a function of speed?

Calculating distance from acceleration as a function of speed has many practical applications, such as in transportation, sports, and engineering. For example, it can be used to determine the distance needed for a car to come to a complete stop, the distance a ball will travel when kicked at a certain speed, or the distance a rocket will travel during launch. It is also important in designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides.