Calculating electrical energy over time

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between power and energy in a battery, with a focus on constant and changing voltage. It is determined that power is the energy added per unit time and that E=PT holds true for constant power, while for changing power, the equation becomes E(t) = \int_{t0}^t P(\tau) \mathrm{d}\tau.
anj16
Hello,

Let's say I am generating 5 amp at a constant 1 volt and storing it in a battery without any loss of energy. The question is what am I adding to the battery? Am I adding power as a function of time or is it something else? So say if I were to calculate how much energy has accumulated after 5 hours how would I do that?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
P=VI
E=PT

Power is energy added per unit time.

Ah I see, thank you.

Amp means coulomb per second. Volt means Joule per coulomb.
therefor V x I means Joules per second = power.
power x time = energy in Joules

What if my voltage isn't constant? Doesn't that mean that my power isn't constant either? And doesn't E=PT rely on constant power?

you would then find yourself talking about 'instantaneous power'. If the voltage changes presumably the current also changes.
An interesting example is in AC circuits where V and I are changing and can be out of step.

what do you mean by instantaneous power? Wait do you mean to take the integral of the power function with respect to time?

anj16 said:
What if my voltage isn't constant? Doesn't that mean that my power isn't constant either?
Sure.

anj16 said:
And doesn't E=PT rely on constant power?
You're right again. [itex]E(t) = \int_{t0}^t P(\tau) \mathrm{d}\tau[/itex] is true in general.

What is electrical energy?

Electrical energy is the energy that is transferred or converted through the flow of electric charge. It is a form of energy that is used to power various devices and appliances.

How is electrical energy measured?

Electrical energy is measured in units of joules (J) or kilowatt-hours (kWh). Joules are used for measuring small amounts of energy, while kilowatt-hours are used for larger amounts, such as energy consumption in a household or business.

What is the formula for calculating electrical energy?

The formula for calculating electrical energy is E = P x t, where E is the energy in joules, P is the power in watts, and t is the time in seconds.

How do you calculate electrical energy over time?

To calculate electrical energy over time, you would need to know the power of the device in watts and the amount of time it has been running. Then, you can use the formula E = P x t to determine the total energy used in joules.

Why is it important to calculate electrical energy over time?

Calculating electrical energy over time is important for understanding energy usage and efficiency. It can help individuals and businesses track their energy consumption and make informed decisions about reducing their electricity usage and costs.