Calculating equilibrium constants Keq

In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium constant, Keq, for the chemical equation 2Fe(s) + 3Cl2(g) ⇔ 2FeCl3(s). The value of Keq is given as 53.25, and the concentration of Cl2 gas is being sought. However, there is not enough information provided to calculate the concentration as the equilibrium pressure of the gas is needed, which would require either a given volume or additional information to determine.
Dave1212

Homework Statement

2Fe(s) + 3Cl2(g) ⇔ 2FeCl3(s)[/B]
Keq = 53.25 [CL2(g)] = ?M
Answer = [0.2658M]

Homework Equations

Keq = (cC)(dD)/(aA)(bB)

The Attempt at a Solution

Keq = [Cl2]3

53.25 = (Cl2)3

I’m confused because I feel like I need more to work with in this question. It seems like I need another number and I don’t know where to start on it.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you trying to calculate? Thread subject says "calculating equilibrium constants" yet Keq is given.

Borek said:
What are you trying to calculate? Thread subject says "calculating equilibrium constants" yet Keq is given.

Trying to calculate the Moles for Cl2

Not enough information. Can you quote entire question?

You can't calculate "moles of Cl2". You have two solids and a gas in equilibrium. At any temperature, there is an equilibrium pressure for the gas. That's all you know, unless you have a volume for the container, and can calculate the total amount of gas.

1. What is the definition of equilibrium constant Keq?

The equilibrium constant Keq is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at a specific temperature which indicates the extent to which a chemical reaction will proceed to reach equilibrium.

2. How is the equilibrium constant Keq calculated?

The equilibrium constant Keq is calculated by taking the ratio of the concentrations of the products to the concentrations of the reactants, each raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients as shown in the chemical equation.

3. What is the significance of the numerical value of Keq?

The numerical value of Keq indicates the relative concentrations of products and reactants at equilibrium. A larger Keq indicates a greater concentration of products and a higher likelihood of the reaction proceeding to completion, while a smaller Keq indicates a lower concentration of products and a lower likelihood of the reaction proceeding to completion.

4. How does temperature affect the equilibrium constant Keq?

The equilibrium constant Keq is affected by changes in temperature. An increase in temperature will cause an increase in Keq for an endothermic reaction (heat is a reactant) and a decrease in Keq for an exothermic reaction (heat is a product).

5. Can the equilibrium constant Keq be altered?

The numerical value of the equilibrium constant Keq is determined by the nature of the chemical reaction and the temperature. Therefore, it cannot be altered without changing the conditions of the reaction. However, the equilibrium position (the relative concentrations of products and reactants) can be shifted by changing the concentration of reactants or products, or by changing the temperature or pressure of the system.