Calculating events from phrasal expressions

In summary, the homework statement is a summary of a conversation discussing the basic operations of sets, later used in probability. The student is given three events and has to calculate at least two of them. They are also trying to understand g, h and k, which are difficult to express in mathematical terms. The student is given the option to express the answer in terms of the universal set, which is easier to understand.
Sollicitans

Homework Statement

This excresice is supposed to help you understand the basic operations of sets, later used in probability. I am given the following phrases and have to write them in using mathematics.
Given three events A, B and C, which belong to sample space S, calculate the following events:
a) Only A happens
b) A and B happen, but not C
c) At least one of the events happen
d) At least two of the events happen
e) All the events happen
f) None of the events happen
g) One of the events happen at most
h) Two of the events happen at most
i) Exactly two of the events happen
j) Three of the events happen at most

Homework Equations

No needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are my solutions. Of course I want to know if I'm correct or not, but I basically need some help with g, h and k. I can't quite understand these expressions and when I try to turn them into mathematical expressions I end up with nonsense. I also used Venn diagrams to understand each event better.

a) A∩B'∩C'
b) This translates to "Only A and B happen", so A∩B∩C'
c) This translates to "A or B or C or all of them", so A∪B∪C
d) "Two or more events happen at the same time", so (A∩B)∪(A∩C)∪(B∩C)
e) A∩B∩C
f) Meaning "... at the same time", so A'∩B'∩C' or (A∪B∪C)' from De Morgan's Law.
g) I can't wrap my head around this one. I'd think it this way: This translates to "Two or more events can't happen at the same time", so I'd go full boolean and think " NOT(A AND B) AND NOT(A AND C) AND NOT(B AND C) AND NOT(A AND B AND C)". Is this correct? Is there any other way to make me understand it? The Venn Diagram helps me get it better, but I could still use some further explanation.
h) This one seems easier to understand if I translate it to "Three events can't happen at the same time, so it's simply (A∩B∩C)' or (A'∪B'∪C') from De Morgan's Law. The Venn Diagram of this also makes sense to me.
bfe3e02f2b074b4f9994c5063ec55fe3.png

i) This one looks easy using the Boolean logic again. (A AND B AND NOT C) OR (A AND NOT B AND C) OR (NOT A AND B AND C).
j) This makes the less sense, since there are three events. I honestly can't think of anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
For g, compare it to d.
For j, what notation have you been taught for the universal set? Maybe just "true"?

The rest look fine.

Likes Sollicitans
Hmmm, so g would look like h, only without the striped parts, right? And my "boolean" expression should be correct if we replace AND with ∩, OR with ∪ and NOT with '.
a916c82d10c741759859517b8f8dc759.png

About j, now. We usually refer to the universal set as S. Is this the answer? Because "3 events at most" means 3 or less and the events are exactly 3? In that case the expression should be (A∪B∪C)∪(A'∩B'∩C').

Sollicitans said:
Hmmm, so g would look like h, only without
I still think it more fruitful to compare g with d.
Sollicitans said:
We usually refer to the universal set as S. Is this the answer?
Are there any events that are ruled out by j?

Likes Sollicitans
haruspex said:
I still think it more fruitful to compare g with d.
You mean because they're each other's complement? I can't see any other resemblence.
haruspex said:
Are there any events that are ruled out by j?
Looks like not. "Three events at most" translates to "Three events or less". Since there are three events in the given sample space, more than three events can't happen even if we take the whole sample space.
I'm not sure if you question me to make sure I understand or because I'm wrong.:biggrin:

Sollicitans said:
You mean because they're each other's complement?
Yes. You already solved d, so that gives you an easy way to write an answer for g.
Sollicitans said:
more than three events can't happen even if we take the whole sample space
You did not seem to be sure that the answer is S, so I was just trying to get you to think in slightly different terms. Or maybe you are uncomfortable expressing the answer as S?

Likes Sollicitans
I kind of am uncomfortable, because I needed to understand this in A, B and C terms. Which is weird if you try to express it like this from scratch, but once you realize it's S you can easily jump to the expression.
Thanks a lot for your help and time!

Sollicitans said:
I kind of am uncomfortable, because I needed to understand this in A, B and C terms. Which is weird if you try to express it like this from scratch, but once you realize it's S you can easily jump to the expression.
Thanks a lot for your help and time!
I suppose an alternative would be A∪A'.

Likes Sollicitans

1. How do you calculate events from phrasal expressions?

Calculating events from phrasal expressions involves breaking down the components of the expression, identifying the relevant variables and their values, and using mathematical formulas or algorithms to determine the outcome. This process may vary depending on the specific type of phrasal expression being analyzed.

2. What types of phrasal expressions can be used to calculate events?

There are various types of phrasal expressions that can be used to calculate events, such as conditional statements (e.g. "if-then" statements), logical operators (e.g. "and", "or", "not"), and quantitative expressions (e.g. "more than", "less than"). These expressions can be combined and manipulated to represent different scenarios and outcomes.

3. Is there a specific approach or methodology to calculating events from phrasal expressions?

While there are general guidelines and principles for approaching phrasal expressions, the specific approach and methodology may vary depending on the context and purpose of the calculation. Some common approaches include logical reasoning, mathematical modeling, and statistical analysis.

4. How accurate are the calculations from phrasal expressions?

The accuracy of calculations from phrasal expressions depends on various factors, such as the complexity of the expression, the quality and completeness of the data used, and the appropriateness of the chosen approach. It is important to carefully consider and validate the inputs and outputs of the calculation to ensure accuracy.

5. Can phrasal expressions be used to predict future events?

Yes, phrasal expressions can be used to make predictions about future events. By analyzing past data and patterns, and using relevant variables and conditions, phrasal expressions can be used to forecast potential outcomes. However, the accuracy of these predictions may vary and should be carefully evaluated.