Calculating heat of a reaction

In summary: Ag2+ and Ag are the reactants and they both have a + electrode and a cathode. So the equation would be Pt2+(aq) + Ag(s)
JameB

Homework Statement

I'm doing report for a Thermochemistry lab and I need to calculate the molar enthalpy of formic acid, ΔH°2.

Two reactions are taking place

1) H3O + OH <-> 2H2O with ΔH°1 = -58400J/mol and some q1
2) HCOOH + OH <-> H2O + HCOO and we need to calculate ΔH°2.

I also know the pH is 1.96 before the neutralization took place.

Homework Equations

q = nΔH°
qsystem = q1 + q2 = -qsurroundings = -(CcalΔTcal + CvVacidΔTacid +CvVbaseΔTbase)...[2]

The Attempt at a Solution

So my general approach is:::

First calcualate what q1 is because I know the pH.

[H3O] = 10-1.96
[H3O] = 0.011 M
=> moles of H3O = Vacid*[H3O] = 0.05L * 0.011M = 0.00055 mol H3O {Is this right?}

Then, q = nΔH° = 0.00055mol * 58400 J/mol = 32.12 {does this make sense?}

Now I calculate q2 using equation [2]
Ccal = 76 J/°C
ΔTcal = 6.2°C

Cv = 4.16
Vacid = 50mL
ΔTacid = 6.2°C

Vbase = 50mL
ΔTbase = 5.2°C

q2 = 2842.4J {correct?} Now, ΔH°2 = q2/moles of HCOOHHow do I find the moles of HCOOH? I'm told that "some of the formic acid dissociated and some of the OH reacted with H3O, so you need to determine the mole sof HCOOH left over after the reaction of H3O and OH"

How do I do that? and am I right so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
It won't hurt if you will tell us what you really did, what are q1 and q2, and what are you expected to determine. We don't know how to read your mind, and what you wrote so far is not enough, it is chaotic and leaves a lot ambiguity. Some things you did are wrong for sure, no matter what you were trying to calculate.

Ignore that whole question, I have a whole new question:

if you have a galvanic cell set up like:

Pt | 0.1M Fe3+, 0.1M Fe2+ || 0.1M AgNO3 | Ag

What does it mean to write a balanced cell reaction equation and how do I do it?

I know that the + electrode was Ag(s) so that means that the cathode was Ag meaning Ag was reduced from Ag2+. So is the answer Pt(s) + Ag2+(aq) -> Pt2+(aq) + Ag(s)?

Last edited:
Please don't pot new questions in old threads, start a new one.

Pt is just an electrode material, it doesn't take part in the reaction.

Your overall approach is correct, but there are a few things to consider in your calculations:

1. The first reaction given is an equilibrium reaction, so it is important to take into account the concentrations of both H3O+ and OH- when determining the moles of H3O+ that reacted. You have correctly calculated the concentration of H3O+ at the start (before the neutralization reaction), but you also need to consider the concentration of OH- at the start since it will also react with H3O+.

2. In the second reaction, the molar enthalpy of formation for formic acid (ΔH°f) is -393.5 kJ/mol. This means that the reaction as written is an exothermic reaction, and you need to make sure your final value for ΔH°2 is a negative value.

3. To determine the moles of HCOOH left over after the reaction, you will need to use the stoichiometry of the reaction. From the given reactions, you can see that for every 2 moles of H3O+ that react, 1 mole of HCOOH is formed. So, you can use the moles of H3O+ that you calculated earlier to determine the moles of HCOOH that reacted, and then subtract that from the total moles of HCOOH that were initially present.

4. It is also important to consider the volume changes in the system when calculating q2. The volume of the solution will increase when H3O+ and OH- react to form H2O (since H2O is a liquid and takes up more volume than the reactants), so this will affect the final temperature and therefore the value of q2.

Overall, your approach is correct, but make sure to take into account the points mentioned above to get a more accurate and complete calculation.

1. What is the definition of heat of a reaction?

The heat of a reaction, also known as the enthalpy change, is the amount of heat that is released or absorbed during a chemical reaction.

2. How is the heat of a reaction calculated?

The heat of a reaction can be calculated by finding the difference between the enthalpy of the products and the enthalpy of the reactants. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the change in temperature of the reaction mixture.

3. What units are used to measure heat of a reaction?

The heat of a reaction is typically measured in units of Joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ) in the metric system. In the imperial system, it can be measured in units of Calories (cal) or kilocalories (kcal).

4. How does the sign of the heat of a reaction indicate the direction of the reaction?

If the heat of a reaction is positive, it means that the reaction is endothermic and requires heat to proceed. This usually indicates that the products have a higher enthalpy than the reactants. If the heat of a reaction is negative, it means that the reaction is exothermic and releases heat. This usually indicates that the products have a lower enthalpy than the reactants.

5. What factors can affect the heat of a reaction?

The heat of a reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration. Changes in these factors can alter the enthalpy of the reactants and products, leading to a different heat of reaction. Catalysts can also affect the heat of a reaction by providing an alternate pathway with a lower activation energy.