Calculating Initial Impulse for Billiard Ball to Roll Without Slippage

• Thread starter azizlwl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary: To avoid slipping, 0=ma±0, so a=0. Therefore, Fapplied=0. So, Fapplied*h=0. Will the ball slip if you hit it with R*sin(90°) at the top?In summary, the conversation discusses the physics behind billiard balls and how to achieve pure rolling without any initial slippage. The solution is to create a situation where no frictional force is needed, and this can be achieved by hitting the ball at a specific height above its center with a certain amount of momentum transfer. This ensures that the ball will rotate with the same angular velocity as its linear velocity, resulting in pure rolling.
azizlwl
How far above its center should a billiard ball be struck in order it roll without any initial slippage?
Denote the ball's radius by R, and assume that the impluse delivered byt the cue is purely horizontal

Book Solution:
Since any static frictional forced supplied by the table is limited to μMg,the only sure way to avoid slippage is to create a situation in which zero frictional force is needed.

Fδt=Mvo and h(Fδt)=Icωo

ωo=vo/R

Hope somebody can explain the underline sentence.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi azizlwl! :smile:

If you have friction acting, that means the force can cause slipping and this occurs till the ball starts pure rolling. If there is no frictional force acting(at the point where the ball touches the board, ofcourse), then the ball will begin pure rolling from the beginning, which is what you are solving for.

This is a really interesting article about the physics behind billiard balls : http://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/physics-of-billiards.html

I read it the first time I played the game, and I was really astounded :biggrin:

The statement "the only sure way to avoid slippage is to create a situation in which zero frictional force is needed" implies that linear velocity at the radius of the ball is equal and opposite to the translational velocity of the center of the ball. If the center of the ball moves at v, then surface must move at -v = -ωr, where ω = angular velocity and r = radius.

If no frictional force, won't there be slippage as in example below.
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4816/p1010018me.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
azizlwl said:
If no frictional force, won't there be slippage as in example below.
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4816/p1010018me.jpg

Yes, slippage can occur without friction, too. But in this case, the condition for no slipping is already given. You basically need that the center and the contact point should have equal and opposite velocity for pure rolling. So here, 0 frictional force will cause slipping. This is essentially what Astronuc said.

the only sure way to avoid slippage is to create a situation in which zero frictional force is needed.

If the ball were hit hard enough above or below the maximum 'optimum' height, the friction might be insufficient to prevent rolling. And we do not know anything about the maximum friction. But, if you hit however hard at this exact height that you are trying to find out, the ball will not be affected by frictional force, so it will always have pure rolling. To have this assurance that the ball will always perform pure rolling, friction is taken to be zero in your sum.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you hit the ball with radius r at height h above the center with a momentum transfer p, if will
- get the transversal momentum p and therefore the velocity v=p/m.
- get an angular momentum of p*h (relative the the center of mass) and therefore rotate with angular velocity ω=p*h/(2/5mr^2).

Now, to avoid slipping, you want pure rolling, which requires the angular velocity ω=v/r. Solving these equations for h gives the solution, assuming I did not mess anything up.

mfb said:
If you hit the ball with radius r at height h above the center with a momentum transfer p, if will
- get the transversal momentum p and therefore the velocity v=p/m.
- get an angular momentum of p*h (relative the the center of mass) and therefore rotate with angular velocity ω=p*h/(2/5mr^2).

Now, to avoid slipping, you want pure rolling, which requires the angular velocity ω=v/r. Solving these equations for h gives the solution, assuming I did not mess anything up.

Thanks. Pure rolling(from initial to end of δt). Instantenous ω=v/r. Frictional force=0. Fnet=Fapplied±0

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Initial Impulse for Billiard Ball to Roll Without Slippage

1. What is initial impulse?

Initial impulse refers to the force applied to an object to set it in motion. In the context of a billiard ball rolling without slippage, it is the force applied to the ball to begin its movement.

2. Why is it important to calculate initial impulse for a billiard ball?

Calculating initial impulse is important because it allows us to understand and predict the motion of the billiard ball. It helps us determine the force needed to set the ball in motion without slipping, which is crucial for accurate shots in the game of billiards.

3. How is initial impulse calculated for a billiard ball?

The initial impulse can be calculated using the formula: I = m * v, where I is the initial impulse, m is the mass of the ball, and v is the initial velocity of the ball.

4. What factors affect the initial impulse of a billiard ball?

The initial impulse of a billiard ball can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the ball, the initial velocity, and the surface on which the ball is rolling. The angle of the shot and any external forces acting on the ball can also impact the initial impulse.

5. Can initial impulse be negative?

Yes, initial impulse can be negative if the force applied to the ball is in the opposite direction of its motion. This can cause the ball to slow down or even come to a full stop before rolling in the opposite direction.