Calculating Joules from Capacitance: Answers & Tips

In summary: However, if you have a parallel combination of rated at 100 volts and 200 volts, you can safely apply voltages between 100 and 200 volts.
RED119
So I read a page where someone said they had put 18 400v 3900uF capacitors in parallel and that this came out to 5600 joules... Now I'm sure I am doing something wrong but when I did it out I only got 28.08 joules...
I used this website: http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Volt_to_Joule_Calculator.htm
plugged 400 in for volts and 0.0702 in for coulombs, if someone can let me know what I am doing wrong here please let me know.

Second little question, i know if you put capacitors in parallel you just add the Farads, but if they all have different volts, say one has 20v 3000F, the other has 400v 90uF, what would that end up being in parallel?

Physics news on Phys.org
5600 J looks like the correct answer. Use: energy = CV2/2.

If you put the capacitors in parallel, by definition they will all assume a single voltage across all connected capacitors. The parallel capacitance is independent of the voltage.
[edit] Sorry--if you mean what is the resulting voltage, you have to do a charge analysis.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the reply, is the C in that equation coulombs or capacitance?

Welcome. C is capacitance. 'q' is usually represents the charge.

hi ya'welcome to PF :)

RED119 said:
Second little question, i know if you put capacitors in parallel you just add the Farads, but if they all have different volts, say one has 20v 3000F, the other has 400v 90uF, what would that end up being in parallel?

just remember tho, you cannot mix voltage values ... that is, the applied voltage to the capacitors must not exceed the lowest rated capacitor voltage value

eg. as in your example of a 20V and a 400V cap, the circuit voltage shouldn't exceed 20V else that lower voltage rated capacitor will fail

but having a 50V, 100V etc rated cap in a 20V circuit isn't a problemDave

The voltage rating of a capacitor is the voltage that the capacitor can withstand before being destroyed. At this moment I forget whether that is peak or RMS voltage, but it is general practice to overrate capacitors in a circuit. So if one capacitor in a network of paralleled capacitors is rated 20 volts, you can't apply voltage greater than 20 volts without risking damage to the one rated at 20V.

Related to Calculating Joules from Capacitance: Answers & Tips

1. What is capacitance and how is it measured?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in units of Farads (F), which is equal to one coulomb of charge per volt of potential difference. Capacitance can be calculated by dividing the amount of charge stored by the potential difference across the system.

2. How do I calculate the amount of energy stored in a capacitor in Joules?

The energy stored in a capacitor can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2CV^2, where C is the capacitance in Farads and V is the potential difference in volts. This equation is derived from the fact that the energy stored in a capacitor is equal to the work done in moving charge against the electric field.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate the energy stored in any type of capacitor?

Yes, the formula E = 1/2CV^2 can be used to calculate the energy stored in any type of capacitor, as long as you know the values of capacitance and potential difference. However, keep in mind that the capacitance may vary depending on the type of capacitor and its construction.

4. What is the significance of calculating energy stored in a capacitor?

Calculating the energy stored in a capacitor is important for understanding the behavior of electric circuits and for designing electronic devices. It allows us to determine how much energy can be stored in a given capacitor and how much work can be done using that energy.

5. Are there any tips for accurately calculating energy stored in a capacitor?

One tip is to make sure you are using the correct units in the formula. Capacitance is measured in Farads and potential difference is measured in volts. Also, be sure to use the correct values for capacitance and potential difference, as these can greatly affect the accuracy of your calculation.