Calculating Kinetic Energy After Collision of Balls A & B

In summary: Ball A of mass 2kg, is moving in a straight line at 5 m/s. Ball B of mass 4kg is moving in the same straight line at 2 m/s. Ball B is traveling directly towards Ball A. The balls hit each other and after the impact each ball has reversed its direction of travel. The kinetic energy lost in the impact is 12.5JIn summary, the balls hit each other and after the impact each ball has reversed its direction of travel. The kinetic energy lost in the impact is 12.5J.
Shah 72
MHB
Ball A of mass 2kg, is moving in a straight line at 5 m/s. Ball B of mass 4kg is moving in the same straight line at 2 m/s. Ball B is traveling directly towards Ball A. The balls hit each other and after the impact each ball has reversed its direction of travel. The kinetic energy lost in the impact is 12.5J

a) show that the speed of ball A after the impact is 3/10 m/s
b) Find the speed of ball B after the impact.
I don't understand how to calculate this.
Pls help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Shah 72 said:
Ball A of mass 2kg, is moving in a straight line at 5 m/s. Ball B of mass 4kg is moving in the same straight line at 2 m/s. Ball B is traveling directly towards Ball A. The balls hit each other and after the impact each ball has reversed its direction of travel. The kinetic energy lost in the impact is 12.5J

a) show that the speed of ball A after the impact is 3/10 m/s
b) Find the speed of ball B after the impact.
I don't understand how to calculate this.
Pls help
Momentum is virtually always conserved in impacts and you can generally take that to be an assumption.

Say Ball A is initially moving to the right and B is initially moving to the left. I'm going to define a +x axis to the right. So \(\displaystyle v_{0A} = 5 \text{ m/s}\) and \(\displaystyle v_{0B} = --2 \text{ m/s}\). I'm going to label \(\displaystyle v_A\) as negative in the equations since it is moving to the left after the collision and \(\displaystyle v_B\) as positive. (Always write down your coordinate system!) The momentum equation, along with conservation of energy says
\(\displaystyle \begin{cases} m_A v_{0A} + m_B v_{0B} = m_A (-v_A) + m_B v_B \\ \dfrac{1}{2} m_A v_{0A}^2 + \dfrac{1}{2} m_B v_{0B}^2 + 12.5 \text{ J} = \dfrac{1}{2} m_A (-v_A)^2 + m_B v_B^2 \end{cases}\)

or
\(\displaystyle \begin{cases}2 \cdot 5 + 4 \cdot (-2) = -2 v_A + 4 v_B \\ 5^2 + 2 (-2)^2 + 12.5 = v_A^2 + 2 v_B^2 \end{cases}\)

or
\(\displaystyle \begin{cases}2 = -2 v_A + 4 v_B \\ 45.5 = v_A^2 + 2 v_B^2 \end{cases}\)

Let's see if you can do it from here. My strategy would be to solve the momentum equation for \(\displaystyle v_A\) (to avoid any unneccessary fractions) and plug that into the energy equation. (As a check I get \(\displaystyle v_A = 5.154 \text{ m/s}\) and \(\displaystyle v_B = 3.077 \text{ m/s}\).)

-Dan

Addendum: For the record what I did above abuses the notation a bit. What I really should have done was to ignore what A and B did after the collision and simply set things up as if they were positive. Then at the end I'd choose the solution that had \(\displaystyle v_A\) negative and \(\displaystyle v_B\) positive. But I'm betting that's not how your instructor would have set it up.

Apply Momentum conservation and KE conservation.
How to delete a post? @admin

I get A’s post collision speed as 10/3 … :unsure:

topsquark said:
Momentum is virtually always conserved in impacts and you can generally take that to be an assumption.

Say Ball A is initially moving to the right and B is initially moving to the left. I'm going to define a +x axis to the right. So \(\displaystyle v_{0A} = 5 \text{ m/s}\) and \(\displaystyle v_{0B} = --2 \text{ m/s}\). I'm going to label \(\displaystyle v_A\) as negative in the equations since it is moving to the left after the collision and \(\displaystyle v_B\) as positive. (Always write down your coordinate system!) The momentum equation, along with conservation of energy says
\(\displaystyle \begin{cases} m_A v_{0A} + m_B v_{0B} = m_A (-v_A) + m_B v_B \\ \dfrac{1}{2} m_A v_{0A}^2 + \dfrac{1}{2} m_B v_{0B}^2 + 12.5 \text{ J} = \dfrac{1}{2} m_A (-v_A)^2 + m_B v_B^2 \end{cases}\)

or
\(\displaystyle \begin{cases}2 \cdot 5 + 4 \cdot (-2) = -2 v_A + 4 v_B \\ 5^2 + 2 (-2)^2 + 12.5 = v_A^2 + 2 v_B^2 \end{cases}\)

or
\(\displaystyle \begin{cases}2 = -2 v_A + 4 v_B \\ 45.5 = v_A^2 + 2 v_B^2 \end{cases}\)

Let's see if you can do it from here. My strategy would be to solve the momentum equation for \(\displaystyle v_A\) (to avoid any unneccessary fractions) and plug that into the energy equation. (As a check I get \(\displaystyle v_A = 5.154 \text{ m/s}\) and \(\displaystyle v_B = 3.077 \text{ m/s}\).)

-Dan

Addendum: For the record what I did above abuses the notation a bit. What I really should have done was to ignore what A and B did after the collision and simply set things up as if they were positive. Then at the end I'd choose the solution that had \(\displaystyle v_A\) negative and \(\displaystyle v_B\) positive. But I'm betting that's not how your instructor would have set it up.
Thanks!

skeeter said:
The ans in the textbook also is 10/3. Can you pls tell me how did you get the ans

skeeter said:
Thank you I got the ans!

skeeter said:
Where did I make the goof?

-Dan

topsquark said:
Where did I make the goof?

-Dan
The loss is taken as positive so you add it to the impact

Shah 72 said:
The loss is taken as positive so you add it to the impact
On the wrong side of the equation. Oops!

Thanks for letting me know!

-Dan

1. How do you calculate the kinetic energy after a collision between two balls?

To calculate the kinetic energy after a collision between two balls, you need to know the mass and velocity of each ball before and after the collision. The formula for calculating kinetic energy is 1/2 * mass * velocity^2. So, you will need to use this formula for both balls before and after the collision, and then calculate the difference to determine the change in kinetic energy.

2. What is the conservation of kinetic energy?

The conservation of kinetic energy states that the total amount of kinetic energy in a closed system remains constant. This means that the sum of the kinetic energy of all objects in the system before a collision is equal to the sum of the kinetic energy after the collision. In simpler terms, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.

3. How does the mass and velocity of the balls affect the kinetic energy after a collision?

The mass and velocity of the balls have a direct impact on the kinetic energy after a collision. The more massive and faster-moving ball will have a higher kinetic energy compared to a smaller and slower-moving ball. This is because the kinetic energy formula takes into account both mass and velocity.

4. Can the kinetic energy after a collision be negative?

Yes, the kinetic energy after a collision can be negative. This happens when the final velocity of the ball is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity. In this case, the kinetic energy will be negative, indicating that the object has lost energy during the collision.

5. How do you determine the direction of the kinetic energy after a collision?

The direction of the kinetic energy after a collision is determined by the direction of the final velocity of the ball. If the final velocity is in the same direction as the initial velocity, then the kinetic energy will be positive. If the final velocity is in the opposite direction, then the kinetic energy will be negative. This indicates the direction of energy transfer during the collision.