"Calculating Korifice Value in Cranes TP 410M, Problem 7-12

• Thread starter gmaverick2k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary: So it seems that the given equation is incorrect.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Korifice value using the Cd and beta values. The given equation in the technical paper is incorrect and the correct equation is K_orifice = (1-beta^2)/(C^2*beta^4). This has been verified through calculations in Excel and WolframAlpha.
gmaverick2k
Homework Statement
Calculate Korifice by substituting Cd and beta values
Relevant Equations
See image
1682613442985.png

This is taken from Cranes Technical paper 410M problem 7-12. I cant seem to get the Korifice value by substituing the Cd and beta value. For example for beta = 0.7 & C = 0.7, I'm calculating Cd = 0.61 and Korifice = 28.0 (not 4.34 as shown) using excel. Is this an error?

Physics news on Phys.org
1682616305504.png

Page A-21. Using Re = 8e5 for relating C and beta

gmaverick2k said:
I'm calculating Cd = 0.61 and Korifice = 28.0
So am I . There must be something wrong in the ##K## expression: the numerators are ##\approx 0.93## denominators ##\approx 0.12##

##\ ##

My old copy (1986, imperial units) shows
$$K_{orifice} \cong \frac{1-\beta^2} {C^2 \beta^4}$$

EDIT: and this is Example 4-12 in the old book, not 7-12 (possible typo in OP?)

Likes gmaverick2k
gmax137 said:
ISO 5167-2:2003, (pdf version pops up first link in google)
pg. 14.. same eq. as in Crane for Korifice...

1682620396003.png

gmax137 said:

EDIT: and this is Example 4-12 in the old book, not 7-12 (possible typo in OP?)
not a typo, example 7-12:
1682620652265.png

Attachments

• 1682620638854.png
    1682620638854.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 63
Likes WWGD
I got the same result as you in Excel (most current version). I also plugged the equation into WolframAlpha and got the same result (both results for Korifice).

1. How do I calculate the Korifice value in cranes using TP 410M?

To calculate the Korifice value in cranes using TP 410M, you will need to follow the specific steps outlined in Problem 7-12 of the TP 410M manual. This includes obtaining the necessary measurements and using the appropriate equations to calculate the value.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the Korifice value in cranes?

The Korifice value in cranes is used to determine the size and type of orifice that is needed for a specific crane system. This value helps ensure that the crane is operating efficiently and safely.

3. Are there any specific units or measurements needed to calculate the Korifice value in cranes?

Yes, there are specific units and measurements that are required to calculate the Korifice value in cranes. These include pressure, flow rate, and pipe diameter, which must all be measured in consistent units (e.g. psi, gallons per minute, inches).

4. Can the Korifice value in cranes change over time?

Yes, the Korifice value in cranes can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear on the crane components or changes in the operating conditions. It is important to regularly monitor and recalculate the Korifice value to ensure the crane is still operating at its optimal efficiency.

5. Is there any software or tools available to help calculate the Korifice value in cranes?

Yes, there are various software and online tools available that can assist with calculating the Korifice value in cranes. However, it is important to understand the underlying equations and principles to ensure accurate results.