Calculating Lie Derivative for Case (ii)

In summary: Consider a function ##f(x)## that is differentiable on an open interval ##I## containing the point ##(a, b)##. The function may be represented by a series expansion in terms of derivatives of various orders.Find the following:1) the first derivative of ##f(x)## at ##(a, b)##2) the second derivative of ##f(x)## at ##(a, b)##3) the third derivative of ##f(x)## at ##(a, b)##The first derivative is ## df/dx = (b-a) \cdot f'(x)##. The second derivative is
Abhishek11235
I am relatively new to differential geometry. I am studying it from Fecko Textbook on differential geometry. As soon as he introduces the concept of lie derivative,he asks to do exercise 4.2.2 in picture. The question is,how do I apply ##\phi^*## to given function ##\psi## . I know that ##\phi^*## transport tensor fields against direction of flow. But how it does,I don't know.

Can anyone help me?

IMG_20190127_160545_484.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20190127_160545_484.jpeg
    IMG_20190127_160545_484.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 574
Physics news on Phys.org
Abhishek11235 said:
But how it does,I don't know.
What does your book say?

Consider case (i) first. An integral curve of V is Φ(t, x) = t + x because dΦ/dt = 1 and Φ(0, x) = x. What happens to a point x? Its shifted to t + x. What happens to a function ψ(x)?

kent davidge said:
Consider case (i) first. An integral curve of V is Φ(t, x) = t + x because dΦ/dt = 1 and Φ(0, x) = x. What happens to a point x? Its shifted to t + x. What happens to a function ψ(x)?
It becomes ##\phi= e^{-(x+t)^2}##. Is this the answer? Can you give procedure to calculate lie derivative like that for case 2?

Last edited:
Abhishek11235 said:
It becomes ##\phi= e^{-(x+t)^2}##. Is this the answer?
yes, and the problem asks you to draw the graph of ##f##. You draw the curve as a function of ##t## for a fixed ##x##, which is the initial point. (Don't name the function ##\phi## to avoid confusion with the curve, which the problem already calls ##\phi##.)
Abhishek11235 said:
Can you give procedure to calculate lie derivative like that for case 2?
The Lie Derivative is something else. It's when you take the limit $$\lim_{t \longrightarrow 0} \frac{ \phi^*_t f - f}{t}.$$ What you need to do:

1 - Find the integral curves for the given vector field.
2 - Displace the curve by an infinitesimal amount and take the limit as I gave above.

For case (i) this is ##\phi(\epsilon, x) \equiv x' = x + \epsilon V##, but ##V = 1##, then ##x' = x + \epsilon##. So ##f(x') \approx f(x) + \epsilon df/dx## and ##\mathcal L_V f = df / dx##. In our case, ##f (x) = \exp (-x^2)##. So ##\mathcal L_V \exp (-x^2) = -2x \exp (-x^2)##.

Can you try yourself case (ii)?

Likes Abhishek11235

1. What is the purpose of graphing Lie Derivative?

The purpose of graphing Lie Derivative is to visually represent the flow of a vector field on a manifold. It allows us to see how the vector field changes over time and how it affects the surrounding space.

2. How is Lie Derivative graphed?

Lie Derivative is typically graphed by plotting the vector field at different points on the manifold and then connecting these points to create a smooth curve. This curve represents the flow of the vector field.

3. What information can be obtained from graphing Lie Derivative?

Graphing Lie Derivative can provide information about the behavior of a vector field, such as whether it is contracting, expanding, or rotating at a particular point on the manifold. It can also show how the vector field changes over time and the overall direction of its flow.

4. Are there any limitations to graphing Lie Derivative?

One limitation of graphing Lie Derivative is that it can only show the behavior of a vector field at discrete points on the manifold. It cannot provide a complete picture of the vector field's behavior at all points. Additionally, the accuracy of the graph may be affected by the resolution of the points chosen and the complexity of the vector field.

5. How is graphing Lie Derivative useful in scientific research?

Graphing Lie Derivative is useful in scientific research as it allows scientists to visualize and analyze vector fields in a tangible way. It can aid in understanding the behavior of physical systems, such as fluid flow or electromagnetic fields, and can also help in predicting future trends or patterns. It is a valuable tool in many fields, including physics, engineering, and biology.