Calculating magnetic field for a micro solenoid

In summary, the formula for calculating magnetic field strength for an electromagnet may not be accurate for a small design with low number of windings, as the presence of air in the magnetic path can affect the flux density and require more ampere turns for a stronger field. Other methods or estimates may be needed for more accurate results.
EddieP
I am trying to calculate the magnetic field (in tesla/gauss) of an iron core electromagnet that is very small and has very few windings. For example 12 windings over 0.003 meters. I know this is not going to produce a very strong field, but I would like to pulse a strong current through the coil very briefly to make it stronger. I have found an number of sources listing the formula for the calculation of magnetic field strength -

B = permeability * turn density * current = (μ * μ0)*(number of turns/core length)*current

listed here http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html

My question is - can this formula be applied to my electromagnet design? Does the size and low number of windings on my electromagnet mean this formula is not valid? Is there any other way I can calculate/estimate magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
EddieP said:
I am trying to calculate the magnetic field (in tesla/gauss) of an iron core electromagnet that is very small and has very few windings. For example 12 windings over 0.003 meters. I know this is not going to produce a very strong field, but I would like to pulse a strong current through the coil very briefly to make it stronger. I have found an number of sources listing the formula for the calculation of magnetic field strength -

B = permeability * turn density * current = (μ * μ0)*(number of turns/core length)*current

listed here http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html

My question is - can this formula be applied to my electromagnet design? Does the size and low number of windings on my electromagnet mean this formula is not valid? Is there any other way I can calculate/estimate magnetic field?
The magnetic path is partly made of air, which has a relative permeability of 1. This means that the reluctance of the total path will be more than for the iron alone. Therefore for your fixed value of magnetising force, the flux will be reduced by perhaps half. The flux density is B and is dependent on the cross sectional area of the path at a given point, and will reduce as the field spreads out into the air, depending on the distance. So basically, you need more ampere turns than the simple formula.

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field for a micro solenoid?

To calculate the magnetic field for a micro solenoid, you can use the formula B = μ0 * (n/L) * I where μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns in the solenoid, L is the length of the solenoid, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

2. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field is Tesla (T). It can also be expressed in Gauss (G), with 1 T = 10,000 G.

3. How does the magnetic field change with varying current or number of turns?

The magnetic field is directly proportional to both the current flowing through the solenoid and the number of turns in the solenoid. Therefore, increasing either the current or the number of turns will result in a stronger magnetic field.

4. Can the magnetic field be calculated for a non-cylindrical solenoid?

Yes, the magnetic field can be calculated for a non-cylindrical solenoid by using the formula B = μ0 * (n/L) * I * cos(θ), where θ is the angle between the axis of the solenoid and the point at which the magnetic field is being measured.

5. Is the magnetic field uniform inside a solenoid?

In an ideal solenoid, the magnetic field is uniform inside. However, in a real solenoid, the magnetic field may vary slightly due to imperfections in the solenoid's construction. The magnetic field is most uniform at the center of the solenoid and becomes weaker towards the ends.