Calculating Material Dimensions for a Semi-Circular Window Rainbow

In summary, the window would have to be cut into six pieces with a length, width, and arc corresponding to the radius and diameter of the Centre Circle.
CandiAnne
Hello math wizards!!!!!

I have a half circle window in my home that I'm trying to cut material for to make a rainbow.

Window across is 69"

All blind slats around the arc are 22.25"

At the bottom of the window there is a Center Circle that is 12 tall and 25 width

What length, width and arc would I need to cut each of the 6 pieces of material?

In advance, Thank you SOOOOO MUCH

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Could you upload a picture of this window area? I'm having a hard time picturing it from your description. Just use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload a JPEG or PDF copy of your picture. Thanks.

This is what we've got so far from your description.

1685460981130.png

I'm not sure what a blind slat is - I think you are referring to the solid opaque spokes. Presumably, they have a non-zero thickness (unless they really are edge-on metal slats), which will have to be factored in.

There are some other ambiguities:
  • Your measurement of the centre half circle's radius (12") and its diameter (25") disagree by a half inch.
  • The length of the blind slats (22.25") disagrees with the difference of the semicircles (69"-25"=) 22" by a quarter of an inch.

There are likely all resolved because this is a real world object with non-zero thicknesses (thickneces?) but we'll need a pic and/or more measurements.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
This is what we've got so far from your description.
But is that a Plan View or an Elevation View? :wink:

berkeman said:
But is that a Plan View or an Elevation View? :wink:
🤔 It's a window.

Plan view when under construction; elevation view when installed?
:oldbiggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
🤔 It's a window.

Plan view when under construction; elevation view when installed?
:oldbiggrin:
Yup. Which view is your sketch of the window? Is the window the curved piece at the top (Plan View) or are we looking through the window that has a curved top arch (Elevation View)?

berkeman said:
Yup. Which view is your sketch of the window? Is the window the curved piece at the top (Plan View) or are we looking through the window that has a curved top arch (Elevation View)?
I have read this four six times and I don't understand what you're envisioning.

Do we all agree we are talking about this?

1685462105429.png

DaveC426913 said:
I have read this four times and I don't understand what distinction you're making.

Do we agree we are all talking about this?

View attachment 327237
If your drawing is an Plan View of the window, we are looking down through the roof of the building. The glass would be the curved piece at the top of your drawing.

If your drawing is an Elevation View of the window, we are looking at the wall and the window like we are looking through it to outside, and the window has an arched top.

Hopefully the OP will post a picture soon to clarify...

(Plan View on the left below, and Elevation View on the right):
1685462345083.png

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CBAQjRxqFwoTCLCPyfiznf8CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE

🤔
I know what Plans versus Elevations are.
He described it as a window, not a skylight.
What I've drawn is what the OP described.
berkeman said:
... we are looking down through the roof of the building. The glass would be the curved piece at the top of your drawing.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't grant that the OP is describing the actual thing (which, incidentally is rainbow-shaped) he wants to make look like a rainbow - rather than something you are inferring.

And I'm still not actually sure how it matters whether the glass is horizontal (plan view) or vertical (elevation view).

:wink:

DaveC426913 said:
I'm not sure what a blind slat is
In a window blind, the slats are the horizontal (or sometimes vertical) thin pieces that rotate through slightly less than 180 degrees to let light in or obstruct its passage through the window.

In your drawing, the 22.25" pieces would be spokes, which is maybe what the OP meant instead of slats. My guess is that the "material" the OP is talking about would be pieces of glass or some kind of plastic in various colors.
CandiAnne said:
At the bottom of the window there is a Center Circle that is 12 tall and 25 width
If the diameter of the circle is 25" its height (radius) would be 12.5".

Mark44 said:
If the diameter of the circle is 25" its height (radius) would be 12.5".
Actually we don't know that. Mathematically, sure. But we do not know that the flat edge of the semi-circle cuts directly through the centre.

1685463447126.png

This is a semi circle with a diameter of 25" and a radius of 12". (More accurately, it's an arc of about 175 degrees). This is a very real likelihood because of real world objects that have spokes (dotted red line) with non-zero thickness.

We have to go with the OP's measurements (after he double-checks them).

I'll (try to) step back until the OP elaborates.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
But we do not know that the flat edge of the semi-circle cuts directly through the centre.
If it's a semicircle, then it's half a circle (described in post #1 as "a half circle window") so the height (a radius) would be half the diameter.

DaveC426913 said:
We have to go with the OP's measurements (after he double-checks them).
Based on the name and the avatar image (which obviously aren't conclusive), my best guess is "she."

In any case, the drawing and the photograph don't bear much resemblance to a rainbow, in which the colored sections are more-or-less bounded by concentric circular arcs.

I agree that we need to get a lot more clarification from the OP.

Mark44 said:
If it's a semicircle, then it's half a circle (described in post #1 as "a half circle window") so the height (a radius) would be half the diameter.
Yes. That has been reiterated already, more than once. However, it is also described in post #1 as having a diameter of 25" and a height of 12". That is more specific information than the vague "half circle".

If the "half circle" the OP speaks of is mathematically a 175 degree arc, then both pieces of information can be reconciled.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the dimensions of a semi-circular window rainbow?

To calculate the dimensions of a semi-circular window rainbow, you will need to know the radius of the window and the angle of the rainbow. The radius can be measured using a ruler or tape measure, while the angle can be estimated by observing the position of the sun or using a protractor. Once you have these measurements, you can use the formula 2πr(1-cosθ) to calculate the length of the rainbow arc, and then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the height and width of the rainbow.

2. What is the significance of calculating the dimensions of a semi-circular window rainbow?

Calculating the dimensions of a semi-circular window rainbow can provide valuable information about the size and shape of the rainbow, which can be used for various purposes such as designing buildings with rainbow-inspired architecture or predicting the appearance of rainbows in different locations and weather conditions.

3. How does the angle of the rainbow affect its dimensions?

The angle of the rainbow is a crucial factor in determining its dimensions. A larger angle will result in a longer and wider rainbow, while a smaller angle will result in a shorter and narrower rainbow. This is because the angle affects the length of the rainbow arc, which in turn affects the height and width of the rainbow.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the dimensions of a semi-circular window rainbow?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the dimensions of a semi-circular window rainbow, such as the size and shape of the window, the position of the sun, and the presence of any obstructions or reflections. These factors can alter the angle and intensity of the rainbow, resulting in variations in its dimensions.

5. Can you use the same formula to calculate the dimensions of a full-circle rainbow?

No, the formula for calculating the dimensions of a semi-circular window rainbow is specific to its shape. To calculate the dimensions of a full-circle rainbow, you will need to use a different formula that takes into account the full circumference of the circle. This formula is 2πr(sinθ/2), where r is the radius and θ is the angle of the rainbow.