Calculating particle velocity along crystal direction

In summary: Thanks for the clarification!In summary, the author is looking into setting up a particle with energy 5keV, traveling along the [11bar2 0] direction in Zr but is struggling to get his head around how to resolve the velocity into the 3 directions to make sure it travels along this specific crystal direction. The author recommends looking into either the Cartesian basis vectors or the unit cell of the material to resolve the velocity.
Aadrych
I am currently looking at setting up a particle, with energy 5keV, traveling along the [11bar2 0] direction in Zr but I am struggling to get my head around how to resolve the velocity into the 3 directions to make sure it travels along this specific crystal direction.

Could anyone help point me in the direction to calculate this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can simply drop the redundant index (that's why it's redundant) and what's left are the three conventional Miller indices that you're familiar with. I'm a bit hazy on the notation but I think the third index is normaly the redundant one. Try googling "redundant miller index" or "Miller-Bravais index".

Ahh okay.
I looked it up and the equivalent of [11bar20] is [110] but I'm not sure how to convert this into equivalent Vx, Vy and Vz values if my V is 1107ang/ps ? i.e. what kind of angles or conversions do I need to do so that vx^2+vy^2+vz^2 = V ?

Thanks in advance

Are Vx,Vy and Vz orthogonal (cartesian) co-ordinates? Wouldn't it be easier to work with basis vectos along (100), (010) and (001)? The first two lie in the basal plane and the third is perpendicular to it. By the way, do you mean [1 , 1bar , 2 , 0] or [1 , 1 , 2bar , 0] I guess it's the second as the first wouldn't make much sense?

EDIT: Found this on the web: http://www.labosoft.com.pl/hex.pdf - that should help?

It's the [1,1,2bar,0]. I wasn't sure if you could resolve the velocity using the basis vectors? If so, how do you resolve the original V into Vx etc? Is it V * cos (pi/2) = Vx?

I edited my reply to include an illuminating link after you replied. Try this: construct the basis vectors of the Bravais lattice in cartesian co-ordinates. (Link above gives you the required info') Next take the vector sum of those basis vectors to get your required direction. Scale the length to the required value and you're there.

EDIT: By the way, this ought to be in the solid state forum - maybe a moderator would oblige?

Last edited:
Okay, I'll give that a go. What do you mean by scaling the length to the required value?

Starting with a speed, V (5keV) and a direction (110) you want to find the components of V along 3 Cartesian axes, right? Combining the basis vectors gives you a vector pointing in the right direction, then you need to multiply by a scalar to make it’s length equal to V (scale it) which gives you the components.

By the way, what is the structure of Zr? If it’s hexagonal, you might do better to sketch the unit cell on a scrap of paper and mark the principal axes. Draw a vector of length V along (110) and you will see that it’s decomposition into Vx and Vy is trivial. (If it’s rhombbohederal on the other hand, then stick to the method above.)

Yes, Zr is hexagonal. So I can use the (110) as my direction instead of converting it into x,y and z.

What is the formula for calculating particle velocity along a crystal direction?

The formula for calculating particle velocity along a crystal direction is v = (a/τ) * c, where v is the velocity, a is the crystal lattice spacing, τ is the relaxation time of the particle, and c is the speed of sound in the crystal.

How is crystal direction defined in this context?

In this context, crystal direction refers to the direction of the crystal lattice in which the particles are moving. This is typically represented by the Miller indices, which are a set of three numbers that describe the orientation of a crystal plane or direction within a crystal.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating particle velocity along a crystal direction?

The accuracy of calculating particle velocity along a crystal direction can be affected by factors such as the temperature and pressure of the crystal, defects or impurities in the crystal lattice, and the type of particle being studied.

Can this calculation be used for all types of crystals?

The formula for calculating particle velocity along a crystal direction can be applied to most crystalline materials, as long as the crystal lattice spacing and relaxation time of the particles are known. However, it may not accurately predict the behavior of particles in highly anisotropic crystals.

How is the relaxation time of a particle determined?

The relaxation time of a particle can be determined through experiments or simulations, taking into account factors such as the size and shape of the particle, its interaction with the crystal lattice, and the surrounding temperature and pressure.