Calculating Percent Nickel in DMG-Ni Complexes: Where Did I Go Wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the percent nickel in a sample through gravimetric analysis. The relevant equations involve multiplying the mass of the DMG-Ni complex sample by the mass ratio of Ni2+ over the molecular mass of the complex, then dividing by the mass of the sample and multiplying by 100%. The person asking for help has gotten the same percentage Ni2+ for each sample, which they believe to be incorrect. They are asked to elaborate on their experimental procedure.
maknott
What I need to figure out:
We did a gravimetric analysis lab and I have masses for the DMG-Ni complexes that we recovered but I need to find the percent nickel in each sample.
Relevant Equations: I believe you take the mass of the DMG-Ni complex sample and multiply that by the mass ratio of Ni2+ over the FW of DMG. Then divide the result by the mass of the sample and multiply by 100%.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did what I layed out above but I get the same percentage Ni2+ for each sample which doesn't make sense so I must have gone wrong. Any help would be great![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Please elaborate on the whole experimental procedure you followed.

maknott said:
multiply that by the mass ratio of Ni2+ over the FW of DMG.

Close, but incorrect. It is not about just DMG, but about molar mass of the whole complex (precipitate).

Right, I see so I use the molar mass of the Ni-DMG comlplex (288.9146g).

We basically used DMG and Ni2+ to form a complex and precipitate that out. From this we can determine the percent error by using the Ni2+ that we started with to find the accepted true value for the amount of nickel that we started with.

You have still not explained why getting the same percentage Ni2+ for each sample doesn't make sense.

Thank you for providing the relevant equations and explaining your thought process. It seems like you have a good understanding of how to calculate the percentage of nickel in each sample. However, it is possible that you made a mistake in your calculations or measurements. I would suggest double-checking your work and making sure all of your numbers are accurate. Also, make sure you are using the correct formula for the DMG-Ni complex and that you are using the correct atomic weight for nickel. If you are still getting the same percentage for each sample, it could be an indication of a systematic error in your experiment. I would recommend discussing your results with your lab instructor or a colleague to see if they can help identify any potential errors. Good luck with your analysis!

What is DMG?

DMG stands for dimethylglyoxime. It is a chemical compound commonly used in chemistry experiments to detect the presence of nickel.

Why is it important to find the percent nickel in DMG?

Nickel is a valuable metal that is used in various industries, including electronics, jewelry, and construction. Knowing the percentage of nickel in DMG can help determine its purity and potential uses.

What is the process for finding percent nickel in DMG?

The process involves dissolving DMG in a solution, adding a known amount of nickel to the solution, and then measuring the amount of DMG that reacts with the nickel. This information can be used to calculate the percent nickel in the DMG sample.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the results?

The accuracy of the results can be affected by various factors such as the quality and purity of the DMG and nickel used, the precision of the measuring equipment, and human error during the experiment.

Can this method be used for other metals besides nickel?

Yes, this method can be used to determine the percentage of other metals in a sample as long as a known amount of the metal can be added to the DMG solution and the amount of DMG that reacts with the metal can be accurately measured.