Calculating pH during Titration: How to Factor in Volume and Dilution?

In summary, an expert summarizer has determined that the following occurred:-A 100.0 ml flask of 0.100 M acetic acid was titrated with 0.100 M sodium hydroxide .-The appropriate indicator was used to measure Ka for the acetic acid. Ka for acetic acid was 1.7 x 10 -5Calculating the pH in the flask at the following points in the titration yielded the following results: -When no NaOH had been added, the pH was 2.89.-After 25.0 ml of NaOH was added, the pH was 4.28.-After 50.0 ml of NaOH was added, the pH was 5
erok81

Homework Statement

100.0 ml of 0.100 M acetic acid is placed in a flask and is titrated with 0.100 M sodium hydroxide . An appropriate
indicator is used. Ka for acetic acid is 1.7 x 10 -5Calculate the pH in the flask at the following points in the titration.
a. when no NaOH has been added.
b. after 25.0 ml of NaOH is added
c. after 50.0 ml of NaOH is added
d. after 75.0 ml of NaOH is added
e. after 100.0 ml of NaOH is added

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I have so far.

To calculate "a" I think I can use the equation ka=[CH3COON]/[CH3COOH][NaOH] (which uses CH3COOH +NaOH -> CH3COON + H20) and use a table to figure out the equilibrium values. Then plug those values into the formula to get the values of the acid, then figure the pH from there.

The part I am not sure on (well two parts) is do I have the equation right, I don't think I do since there isn't an H+ to calculate. The second thing is...how do I factor those different volumes in? And I am sure the 100mL in the beginning matters, but I can't remember how to factor those in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok..forget the part I said about A. That uses a different equation. I figured the pH of part a to be 2.89.

The rest of them I am not sure.

Do I just set up the table (intial, change, equilibrium) with each of the different measurements for NaOH?

Calculating titration curves - scroll down the page - third paragraph from the end summarizes how to calculate whole titration curve of a weak acid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've got it figured out until I got to 100mL of NaOH.

Using that formula, I get a divide by zero. Unless I am still doing it wrong? :confused:

Here is what I have so far.

b. 4.28
c. 4.76
c. 5.23
d. I end up with no CH3COOH after reacting and can't divide by that zero.

At the end use different approach - assume you have just a solution of salt. That means solution of a weak base.

Got it. Does 8.38 sound about right?

Close, but wrong by about 0.3 unit, that's too much of an error for such a simple calculation.

I think my value for Kb is wrong. I used 5.88x10^-10.

This is where the problem lies I am pretty sure.

I found that by using the ka value for acetic acid then using kw/ka=kb.

Is that wrong?

Nope, Kb is OK.

Ok...tried it again. I had the wrong value in for NaOH.

Does 8.85 sound a bit better?

Here is how I came up with that figure.

NaOH -> Na+ + OH-
Initial 0.100 0 0
Change -x x x
Equil 0.100-x x x

kb=[Na][OH]/[NaOH]

Multiplying everything out...

5.88x10^-11 - 5.88x10^-10x - x^2

Then for x I get 7.66x10^-16

And finally for the pH

-log(7.66x10^-16) = 5.115

For the base pH 14-5.115 = 8.89.

Last edited:
Still wrong. It is not NaOH that is a weak base responsible for pH, but acetate. Kb for acetate is not that for NaOH, beides, NaOH is a STRONG base, with large Kb, not a small one.

Have you taken dilution into account?

1. What is titration and how is it used in chemistry?

Titration is a process in chemistry where a known concentration of a substance, called a titrant, is added to a solution of another substance until a chemical reaction takes place. This allows for the determination of the unknown concentration of the second substance, known as the analyte. Titration is commonly used to determine the concentration of acids and bases in a solution.

2. What is an indicator and why is it used during titration?

An indicator is a substance that changes color at a specific pH level. It is used during titration to determine when the reaction between the titrant and analyte is complete. This occurs when the indicator changes color, indicating that the solution has reached a specific pH level.

3. How is pH calculated during titration?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. During titration, pH is calculated using the volume and concentration of the titrant and analyte. The equation used to calculate pH is pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution.

4. What is the equivalence point in titration?

The equivalence point is the point in a titration where the number of moles of the titrant added is equal to the number of moles of the analyte. At this point, the reaction is complete and the solution is neutral. This can be determined by using an indicator or through a pH meter.

5. How does titration help in determining the concentration of an unknown solution?

Titration is used to determine the concentration of an unknown solution by comparing it to a known concentration. By adding a known volume and concentration of a titrant to a solution of unknown concentration, the volume of titrant required to reach the equivalence point can be used to calculate the concentration of the unknown solution using the equation M1V1=M2V2, where M1 and V1 are the concentration and volume of the known solution, and M2 and V2 are the concentration and volume of the unknown solution.