Calculating Probabilities in a Double-Elimination Tournament

In summary, the conversation discusses a Boolean algebra problem involving a game between Team 1 and one of three possible opponents, Team 2, Team 3, or Team 6. The conversation also includes calculations of the probabilities of Team 1 losing to each opponent and the overall probability of Team 1 losing the game. The conversation ultimately concludes that the answer should be between 0.48 and 0.40, and that the calculations involving multiple opponents are not relevant since Team 1 will only face one opponent.
Jim Johnson

Homework Statement

In Game 6 of a 6-team double-elimination tournament, Team 1, the top-ranked team, faces the loser of a previous game involving Team 2, the second-ranked team, against one of either Team 3, the third-ranked team or Team 6, the sixth-ranked team.
This exercise tests the limits of my expertise with Boolean algebra. I think I've managed to get a handle on the problem, but I would very much appreciate a confirmation of my calculations. Or if I have strayed from the path of Boolean truth, I would even more appreciate your letting me know.

Homework Equations

According to pregame rankings, the probability of Team 1's losing to Team 2, Team 3 and Team 6, respectively is .48, .46 and .40. The corresponding probabilities that Team 1 will not lose to Team 2, Team 3 and Team 6 is .52, .54, and .60. What is the probability that Team 1 will lose the game?
Here's my solution:

The Attempt at a Solution

p(T1 loses to T2) = .48 p(T1 does not lose to T2) = .52
p(T1 loses to T3) = .46 p(T1 does not lose to T3) = .54
p(T1 loses to T6) = .40 p(T1 does not lose to T6) = .60
p(T1 loses to T3 and not to T6) = (.46) (.60) = .2760
p(T1 loses to T6 and not to T3) = (.40) (.54) = 2160
p(T1 loses to either T3 or T6 ) = .4920
p (T1 loses to neither T3 nor T6) = ..5028
p(T1 loses to T2 and not to (T3 or T6) = (.48) (.5028) = .2438
p(T1 loses to (T3 or T6) and not to T2) = (.4920) (.52) = .2558
p(T1 loses to either T2 or to (T3 or T6) = .4996
p(T1 loses neither to T2 nor to (T3 or T6) = .5004

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's only one game (involving Team 1) that we're talking about here, right?

And we may not yet know who the opponent is, but it's one of the three teams mentioned; at worst Team 1 has a 0.48 chance of losing and at best only a 0.40 chance of losing. If our answer isn't between those two numbers there is probably something wrong.

It might help if we had some way of determining who the likely opponent is between the three possible teams.

I believe that Joffan's point (inter alia) is that none of these calculations appear to be relevant:
Jim Johnson said:
p(T1 loses to T3 and not to T6) = (.46) (.60) = .2760
p(T1 loses to T6 and not to T3) = (.40) (.54) = 2160
p(T1 loses to either T3 or T6 ) = .4920
p (T1 loses to neither T3 nor T6) = ..5028
p(T1 loses to T2 and not to (T3 or T6) = (.48) (.5028) = .2438
p(T1 loses to (T3 or T6) and not to T2) = (.4920) (.52) = .2558
p(T1 loses to either T2 or to (T3 or T6) = .4996
p(T1 loses neither to T2 nor to (T3 or T6) = .5004
since T1 will only face one opponent. I agree.

Likes Joffan

1. What is Boolean Algebra?

Boolean Algebra is a mathematical system used to represent logical statements and operations. It was developed by mathematician George Boole in the mid-19th century and is the basis for modern digital electronics and computer programming.

2. Why is understanding Boolean Algebra important in science?

Boolean Algebra is used in a wide range of scientific disciplines, including computer science, engineering, and physics. It allows for the simplification and manipulation of logical expressions, making it a useful tool in problem-solving and data analysis.

3. How does Boolean Algebra relate to exercise?

In exercise, Boolean Algebra is commonly used to design and optimize workout routines. By breaking down complex exercises and movements into smaller logical statements, trainers and coaches can create efficient and effective workout plans for their clients.

4. What are the basic operations in Boolean Algebra?

The basic operations in Boolean Algebra are AND, OR, and NOT. AND represents the intersection of two statements, OR represents the union of two statements, and NOT represents the negation of a statement.

5. Can Boolean Algebra be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, Boolean Algebra can be applied to real-life situations, such as decision-making processes and problem-solving. It can also be used in computer programming to create Boolean logic gates, which are essential in creating digital circuits and systems.