Calculating Steady States: A Guide

In summary: It just means that the population is below the "carrying capacity" so that if you started with a population that low, it would stay that low.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "steady state" and how it relates to a differential equation. The equation given is a third degree equation that can be solved for the steady state solutions, which include u*=0 and u*=+-sqrt(1-E). The conversation also touches on the interpretation of these steady states in the context of an animal population, with 0 indicating no population and the negative square root being mathematically possible but not realistic.
mt91
1596227733415.png

Anyone able to calculate the steady states?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you not know what a "steady state" IS? A steady state is a constant solution to the differential equation. And if it is constant, $\frac{du*}{dt}= 0$
So $\frac{du*}{dt}= 0= u*(1- u*)(1+ u*)- Eu*$.

Solve that third degree equation for u*.

Country Boy said:
Do you not know what a "steady state" IS? A steady state is a constant solution to the differential equation. And if it is constant, $\frac{du*}{dt}= 0$
So $\frac{du*}{dt}= 0= u*(1- u*)(1+ u*)- Eu*$.

Solve that third degree equation for u*.
Cheers, it was the wording of the question I struggled with, because it said as a function of E. So this is what I did:

\[ Eu*=u*(1-u*)(1+u*) \]
\[ E=(1-u*)(1+u*) \]
\[ ∴u*=1-E, u*=E-1 \]

I think that u*=0 would be a solution, but I'm not sure with the wording of "function of E" what it wants me to do, cheers

Then you should have said, in your first post, that your difficulty was with solving the cubic equation, not with the "steady state" of the differential equation! I am concerned that, in a problem involving differential equations, your difficulty is with solving a quadratic equation! In fact, your difficulty is with solving an equation of the form "$x^2= a$".

Yes, Eu*= u*(1- u*)(1+ u*). u*= 0 is a solution. If u* is not 0 we can divide by u* to get E= (1- u*)(1+ u*).

But that does NOT give u*= 1- E or u*= 1+ E as solutions! You would have seen that if you had checked: If u*= 1- E then 1- u*= 1-1+ E= E and 1+ E= 2- E. $(1- u*)(1+ u*)= E(2- E)= 2E- E^2$.

From $E= (1- u*)(1+ u*)= 1- u*^2$ we get $u*^2= 1- E$ so that $u*= \pm\sqrt{1- E}$.

Country Boy said:
Then you should have said, in your first post, that your difficulty was with solving the cubic equation, not with the "steady state" of the differential equation! I am concerned that, in a problem involving differential equations, your difficulty is with solving a quadratic equation! In fact, your difficulty is with solving an equation of the form "$x^2= a$".

Yes, Eu*= u*(1- u*)(1+ u*). u*= 0 is a solution. If u* is not 0 we can divide by u* to get E= (1- u*)(1+ u*).

But that does NOT give u*= 1- E or u*= 1+ E as solutions! You would have seen that if you had checked: If u*= 1- E then 1- u*= 1-1+ E= E and 1+ E= 2- E. $(1- u*)(1+ u*)= E(2- E)= 2E- E^2$.

From $E= (1- u*)(1+ u*)= 1- u*^2$ we get $u*^2= 1- E$ so that $u*= \pm\sqrt{1- E}$.

Meaning therefore we have 3 steady state solutions?
\[ u*=0 \]
\[ u*=sqrt(1-E) \]
\[ u*=-sqrt(1-E) \]

Thanks for your help by the way

Yes.

Country Boy said:
Yes.
Thanks, do you know much about how you would interpret relevant steady states? So the steady state equation was about an animal population. If a steady state is 0 is this indicating that there's no population? and the negative square root steady state is indicating a decline in the population?

mt91 said:
Thanks, do you know much about how you would interpret relevant steady states? So the steady state equation was about an animal population. If a steady state is 0 is this indicating that there's no population?
The population is u(t). If for any t, u(t)= 0, there is no population so, of course, it cannot decrease and is not going to increase so stays 0. 0 is always a "steady state" for a population. (Unless you allow "spontaneous generation"!)

and the negative square root steady state is indicating a decline in the population?
No, the whole point of "steady state" is that it is steady, it is NOT changing, neither decreasing nor increasing. A negative value here is a mathematically a solution to the equation but is not a realistic solution- the number of animals cannot be negative.

1. How do I determine the steady state of a system?

To determine the steady state of a system, you must first define the variables and parameters that govern the system's behavior. Then, you can use mathematical equations and simulations to calculate the steady state values for each variable. This can be done using techniques such as differential equations, linear algebra, and numerical methods.

2. What factors can affect the steady state of a system?

The steady state of a system can be affected by various factors such as external inputs, initial conditions, and the system's inherent properties. For example, changes in the external environment or disturbances to the system can alter the steady state values of the variables.

3. Is it possible for a system to have multiple steady states?

Yes, it is possible for a system to have multiple steady states. This can occur when the system has multiple stable equilibrium points, each representing a different steady state. In such cases, the system's behavior can switch between these steady states depending on the initial conditions or external inputs.

4. How can I validate the accuracy of my calculated steady state values?

To validate the accuracy of your calculated steady state values, you can compare them with experimental data or real-world observations. If the calculated values closely match the observed values, it indicates that your calculations are accurate. Additionally, you can also perform sensitivity analysis to see how changes in the system's parameters affect the steady state values.

5. Can steady state analysis be applied to all types of systems?

Steady state analysis can be applied to a wide range of systems, including physical, biological, and social systems. However, the techniques and methods used may vary depending on the type of system and its complexity. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the chosen approach when applying steady state analysis to a particular system.