Calculating the energy required to spool a turbocharger

In summary, this conversation does not provide a general formula for how much energy it takes to spin up a turbocharger. It is not related to how much energy it takes to reach a certain rpm. And even if it were, it would not tell you how much engine output is required to get the turbo to spool.
devon1996
I am interested in figuring out a general formula for how much energy it takes to spin up a turbocharger if we know the diameter of the wheel,mass, target rpm, and time to go from stationary to full speed. The goal is to get a general idea of what engine speed is required to get a turbo to spool on any engine configuration. Once I have the formula I want to compare known dyno graphs to see how the energy to overcome inertia compares to engine output when the turbo spools

Physics news on Phys.org
This is so wrong on so many levels.
devon1996 said:
I am interested in figuring out a general formula for how much energy it takes to spin up a turbocharger
Simple, ##E = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2## (source)
devon1996 said:
and time to go from stationary to full speed
It has no influence on the amount of energy needed to reach a certain rpm.
devon1996 said:
The goal is to get a general idea of what engine speed is required to get a turbo to spool on any engine configuration.
Knowing how much energy it takes to spin up a turbocharger won't help you for that.
devon1996 said:
to see how the energy to overcome inertia compares to engine output when the turbo spools
You will not find out any relationship between the two.

The engine output will depend mostly on the turbocharger mass flow rate, which in turn will depend on the turbocharger rpm. So it doesn't mean that if the energy doesn't go to the engine output, that it goes to spin the turbocharger. It is just that there is not the same amount of air that goes into the engine at different turbine rpm.

This was my line of thought. On a gasoline engine every horsepower you make you put one horsepower worth of heat into the exhaust and one into the cooling system. So if it took say 50 hp to bring the turbine up to speed plus 10 hp to compress the air at that speed you'd need say 60 hp worth of exhaust flow to make whatever boost. And so then you could go to a dyno graph and see if it spooled at say 80 hp or whatever.

What is a turbocharger?

A turbocharger is a device that increases the power and efficiency of an internal combustion engine by compressing the air that enters the engine.

How does a turbocharger work?

A turbocharger uses a turbine and a compressor to increase the amount of air entering the engine. The turbine is powered by the exhaust gases from the engine, which spins the compressor and forces more air into the engine, resulting in increased power.

What is the energy required to spool a turbocharger?

The energy required to spool a turbocharger refers to the amount of energy needed to spin the turbine and compressor to achieve the desired boost pressure. This energy is typically measured in joules or horsepower.

How is the energy required to spool a turbocharger calculated?

The energy required to spool a turbocharger can be calculated by multiplying the mass flow rate of air entering the engine by the change in pressure across the compressor. This calculation takes into account the efficiency of the turbocharger and the specific heat of the air.

What factors can affect the energy required to spool a turbocharger?

The energy required to spool a turbocharger can be affected by several factors, including the size and design of the turbocharger, the engine's air intake system, the exhaust system, and the engine's operating conditions such as RPM and load. Ambient temperature and altitude can also play a role in the energy required to spool a turbocharger.