Calculating the heating effect of a Class IV laser

In summary, the conversation is about the heating effect of a laser on a target material. The speaker, who has a background in Mechanical Engineering, is struggling to understand this effect and needs to calculate it for their dissertation. They will be using ND:Yag lasers of certain specifications and wants to know the temperature increase of the material when the laser is pulsed for 2 seconds. The other person in the conversation suggests that the temperature increase will depend on the amount of absorbed energy and provides equations for calculating it. The speaker thanks them for their input and clarifies that they are looking for the surface temperature within the laser beam.
alex111888
Hi guys,

I am of a Mechanical Engineering background, however my dissertation has a largely optics based focus, and I am struggling with understanding the heating effect of a Laser.

I will be using various wavelength ND:Yag lasers, and will be focussing them onto a target material, which I have not yet decided upon. I need to be able to calculate the heating effect of the laser on this material.

For example, if I pulse the laser constantly for 2 seconds, what will be the temperature increase of the material?

For arguement's sake, we could consider the laser to be of these specifications:

Dimensions
Laser transmitter 325 x 201 x 119 mm
Laser receiver 105 x 77 x 23 mm
Mass
Laser transmitter < 7.5 kg
Laser receiver < 0.5 kg
Aperture
10 mm
Beam Divergence
Tactical @ 1.06 μm < 1 mRad
Output Energy
< 300 mJ @ 1.06 μm
< 90 mJ @ 1.57 μm
Repetition Rate
20 Hz (on both wavelengths)
Average Power
< 325 W

Thank you very much for your input.

Alex

Science news on Phys.org
The temperature increase will be driven by the amount of absorbed energy, nothing more- unless the pulse is of ~fs duration.

thank you for your reply. I am ultimately looking for the surface temperature within the beam of the laser. As surely the part inside the beam will become much hotter than that outside? also- do you have any kind of equations that would be appropriate?

Related to Calculating the heating effect of a Class IV laser

1. How is the heating effect of a Class IV laser calculated?

The heating effect of a Class IV laser is typically calculated by using the formula Q = I^2 x R x t, where Q is the amount of heat energy generated, I is the laser's intensity, R is the laser's resistance, and t is the duration of exposure.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of the heating effect calculation?

Factors that can affect the accuracy of the heating effect calculation include the laser's wavelength, the material being heated, the distance between the laser and the material, and the laser's duty cycle.

3. Is there a standard unit of measurement for the heating effect of a Class IV laser?

Yes, the heating effect of a Class IV laser is typically measured in watts (W) or joules (J).

4. How can the heating effect of a Class IV laser be minimized?

The heating effect of a Class IV laser can be minimized by using shorter exposure times, using lasers with lower intensities, and ensuring proper distance and alignment between the laser and the material being heated.

5. Are there any safety considerations when calculating the heating effect of a Class IV laser?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when working with Class IV lasers. It is important to follow proper safety procedures and wear appropriate protective gear, as the heating effect of a Class IV laser can cause severe burns and tissue damage.

Back