Calculating the total cost of gasoline for a trip

• Thread starter Embison
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gasoline
In summary, the individual is planning a trip and needs help estimating the cost of gasoline for the trip. They mention their car's mileage and the current price of gasoline in their area, which is sold by the litre. They ask for assistance in calculating the total cost of gasoline for the trip, which is approximately 2500 miles. The conversation then includes a discussion on converting litres to gallons and determining the total number of gallons needed for the trip, as well as a comparison of gas prices in the U.S. and Canada. The individual also mentions using an American website for mileage information and averaging out gas prices. They express a preference for using American measurements.
Embison
I need help estimating the cost of gasoline for a trip I am planning on making in my car. I've been out of school for awhile so appologies for the simplicity of this question.

Can someone help show me how to calculate this question with the answer included?

The car get's 19 miles per gallon. Gasoline here is about 95 cents a litre. We don't use gallons. And the trip is 2500 miles.

How much will the total cost of gasoline be for that trip?

thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well 1 US gallon = 3.785 litres, So multiply 3.785*.95 to get your cost per gallon which is right about $3.60/Gal. Then you can Divide 2500/19 to see how many gallons you will use, so about 132 Gallons for the trip. Then just multiply $3.60*132=$475.20. So your looking at about $500 in gas for the trip, if I am wrong forgive me its been a long day.

So do you really calculate miles per gallon? or is that 19 km per l?

It does seem strange that you would use gallons when your local stations are selling gasoline by the liter!

It's because my trip is 99% in the States and I live in Canada.

Ah! But that means that 99% of your gasoline will be bought in gallons. I would have thought you would reverse the figures. First, can you be sure that the price of gas in the U.S. is at all the same as in Canada? (Probably is, but I don't know). Also you will need to convert from Canadian dollars to U.S. dollars.

In any case, convert cost per litre to cost per gallon as Loudog said. Then: given that the trip is 2500 miles, divide that by your milage: 19 miles/gallon to determine that the whole trip will require 2500/19= 131.6 gallons, approximately. Here where I live, gas is about $2.50 U.S. per gallon so that would cost 131.5(2.5)= $329 U.S., approximately.

(I remember working at a gas station pumping gas for 25 cents a gallon. And I not that old!)

I remember those days too lol. Wish i was making my trip back then! :] Yea I know my question isn't perfect..But it doesn't matter because I only needed an estimation. It was actually because I was looking at an american website that told me the miles per gallon..and I averaged out the gas prices around here. I don't know exactly where I'll be stopping in the U.S. to get gas and the prices could be drastically different from state to state..so it was actually easier to just average out the gas price here. Plus the Canadian version of the car comapnies website has it listed in kilometers per liter. If I was able to figure out the average gas price across the states I am going to be traveling through (which i don't exactly know yet) i would have preferred to use gallons. I prefer to use american measurements a lot more. Except litres are kinda cooler than gallons lol.

1. How do I calculate the total cost of gasoline for a trip?

To calculate the total cost of gasoline for a trip, you will need to know the distance of your trip, the gas mileage of your vehicle, and the current price of gasoline. Multiply the distance of your trip by the gas mileage of your vehicle and then divide by the price of gasoline to get the total cost.

2. How do I determine the gas mileage of my vehicle?

The gas mileage of your vehicle can usually be found in your vehicle's owner's manual or by doing a quick internet search using your make and model. If you can't find it, you can also track your gas usage and distance traveled over several trips and calculate the average gas mileage.

3. How do I find the current price of gasoline?

The current price of gasoline can be found by checking your local gas stations or by using online resources such as GasBuddy.com. Keep in mind that gas prices can vary depending on location and time, so it's best to check right before your trip.

4. Is there a more accurate way to calculate the total cost of gasoline for a trip?

Yes, you can also factor in other variables such as the weight of your vehicle, the terrain of your trip, and any potential traffic or detours. This can give you a more accurate estimate of the total cost of gasoline for your trip.

5. Can I save money on gasoline for my trip?

Yes, there are several ways to save money on gasoline for your trip. You can try to find the cheapest gas stations along your route, carpool with others to split the cost, or plan your trip to avoid traffic and save on gas mileage. Additionally, keeping your vehicle well-maintained and using apps that help you find the most efficient route can also help you save money on gasoline.