Calculating torque within a DC MOTOR?

In summary, the torque that is generated inside a magnetic motor is caused from the magnetic forces that is the formula:F = ILBF: Magnetic force(Not sure what the unit would be...)I: Current(A)L: Torque(N.m)B: Magnetic field.( Gauss or Tesla?)I just need some help in calculating the total magnetic force I know the current & the magnetic field(measured in Tesla or Gauss in this cause?). However, the Torque is confusing for me to calculate... I've looked around and read theses slide countlessly but I really don't know how? I end up scratching my head all night wondering how to calculate
Momento
The torque that is generated inside a magnetic motor is caused from the magnetic forces that is this formula:

F = ILB

F: Magnetic force(Not sure what the unit would be...)
I: Current(A)
L: Torque(N.m)
B: Magnetic field.( Gauss or Tesla?)

I just need some help in calculating the total magnetic force I know the current & the magnetic field(measured in Tesla or Gauss in this cause?). However, the Torque is confusing for me to calculate... I've looked around and read theses slide countlessly but I really don't know how? I end up scratching my head all night wondering how to calculate the torque!

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Momento. Suggest recheck your textbook (or the web) again to establish what that "L" quantity is.

My understanding is such that:

F = I l B (sin Θ = 1 )

where F = Newtons, I = amps, l = conductor length, and B = magnetic field strength in Tesla.
(remnant field strength may be .7 * max stated value)

You could also use a motor 'constant':

where torque in Nm/A = K * I, and BEMF = Kω

such that K = 2NBLR

where N = # of turns, B = Br*t/(t+g), L = active length (of stator), R = effective radius

where Br = remanent flux density, t = magnet thickness, and g = air gap

NascentOxygen said:
Hi Momento. Suggest recheck your textbook (or the web) again to establish what that "L" quantity is.

I'll give it a look.

0110alxcpa said:
My understanding is such that:

F = I l B (sin Θ = 1 )

where F = Newtons, I = amps, l = conductor length, and B = magnetic field strength in Tesla.
(remnant field strength may be .7 * max stated value)

You could also use a motor 'constant':

where torque in Nm/A = K * I, and BEMF = Kω

such that K = 2NBLR

where N = # of turns, B = Br*t/(t+g), L = active length (of stator), R = effective radius

where Br = remanent flux density, t = magnet thickness, and g = air gap

"(remnant field strength may be .7 * max stated value)"?

All the rest is really confusing... Could you simplify it more and more...?

Hello,

Calculating torque within a DC motor involves understanding the relationship between magnetic force, current, and magnetic field. The formula you have provided, F = ILB, is known as the Lorentz force law and is used to calculate the force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field.

In this case, the force (F) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the length of the conductor (L) and the strength of the magnetic field (B). The unit for magnetic force can be expressed in Newtons (N) or Ampere-meters (A.m). The unit for torque is Newton-meters (N.m).

To calculate the torque in a DC motor, you would need to know the length of the conductor (L) and the strength of the magnetic field (B). The current (I) can be measured using a multimeter. Once you have these values, you can use the formula F = ILB to calculate the magnetic force, and then use the torque formula, T = F x r, where r is the radius of the rotor, to calculate the torque.

It is important to note that the magnetic field strength (B) is typically measured in Tesla (T) in the SI system, or in Gauss (G) in the CGS system. To convert between the two, 1 Tesla is equal to 10,000 Gauss.

I hope this helps you in your calculations. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I am always happy to help others understand and apply scientific concepts.

Best regards,

Related to Calculating torque within a DC MOTOR?

1. What is torque and why is it important in a DC motor?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force or turning power of a motor. In a DC motor, torque is important because it determines the ability of the motor to move heavy loads or perform work.

2. How do you calculate torque in a DC motor?

To calculate torque in a DC motor, you need to know the current flowing through the motor, the number of turns in the armature winding, and the strength of the magnetic field. The formula for torque is T = K x I x N, where T is torque, K is a constant, I is the current, and N is the number of turns.

3. What factors can affect torque in a DC motor?

The factors that can affect torque in a DC motor include the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the armature winding, the current flow, and the type and size of the motor. Additionally, external factors such as friction and load can also affect torque.

4. How does torque relate to the speed of a DC motor?

Torque and speed have an inverse relationship in a DC motor. This means that as torque increases, speed decreases and vice versa. This is because the motor's speed is determined by the voltage applied to it, while torque is determined by the current and magnetic field strength.

5. How can you increase torque in a DC motor?

To increase torque in a DC motor, you can either increase the strength of the magnetic field, increase the current flowing through the motor, or increase the number of turns in the armature winding. However, it is important to note that increasing torque may also decrease the speed of the motor.