Calculating Total Energy with Dimensional Analysis | Screenshot Included

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework equation but is struggling to understand the language used and is seeking clarification from their professor.
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

Please look at the screenshot.

Homework Equations

dimensional analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the heat capacity is given as 11.3 kJ/(C*g), and energy is measured in Joules (or kJ), I thought to multiply 11.3 by the change in temp (7.3 C) and also 1.50 g of methane.

However, as you can see, what my teacher did is quite different (does not have the grams).

but he explicitly states that total energy = energy required per deg x no. of deg... where'd the grams go then?
Please help me out!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 9.28.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 9.28.35 AM.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 368
Physics news on Phys.org
JessicaHelena said:

Homework Statement

Please look at the screenshot.

Homework Equations

dimensional analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the heat capacity is given as 11.3 kJ/(C*g), and energy is measured in Joules (or kJ), I thought to multiply 11.3 by the change in temp (7.3 C) and also 1.50 g of methane.

However, as you can see, what my teacher did is quite different (does not have the grams).
but he explicitly states that total energy = energy required per deg x no. of deg... where'd the grams go then?
Please help me out!
You’re given the SH of the bomb calorimeter. Then it seems to switch to what’s called a calorimeter constant, which is just J/C. The question seems oddly worded and is perhaps just a mistake in the notes?

You might want to email your professor and ask for clarification or wait for another reply here from someone to see something I missed or am misunderstanding myself.

My bet is that is a mistake, 11.3 looks like it is intended to be a heat capacity, not a specific heat capacity (note you are not given calorimeter mass which makes the question impossible to solve).

I agree with the last two posters that to call it specific heat capacity is unfortunate, it is just a heat capacity (and should not contain g).
But as far as it goes the calculation appears to me correct.
Where have the grams gone? You just need to convert the kJ for that amount of octane in that particular experiment to something of more general value, the kJ per mole octane, or maybe for engineers kJ/Kg.

Last edited:

What is the meaning of "total energy" in scientific terms?

The total energy of a system refers to the sum of all forms of energy present in that system, including kinetic, potential, thermal, chemical, and nuclear energy.

How is the total energy of a system calculated?

The total energy of a system can be calculated using the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a system will remain constant unless energy is added or removed from the system.

Why is it important to understand the total energy of a system?

Understanding the total energy of a system is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics and chemistry, as it allows us to predict the behavior and changes within a system. It also helps us to design and optimize energy systems, such as engines and power plants.

What are some real-world examples of total energy in action?

Some examples of total energy in action include a moving car, a battery-powered device, and a chemical reaction. In each of these cases, there are various forms of energy present, such as kinetic, electrical, and chemical energy, which combine to make up the total energy of the system.

Can the total energy of a system ever be negative?

No, the total energy of a system cannot be negative. This is because energy is a scalar quantity and cannot have a negative value. However, the energy of a specific component within a system, such as its kinetic energy, can be negative if it is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference frame.