Calculating Vertical Acceleration from Centripital enduced movement

In summary, the conversation was about using a GIF to help describe a physics concept, specifically the force that causes a ball to move upwards in a structure. The discussion touched on centripetal force, Newton's Third Law, and calculating the force generated by the movement of the ball. There was also a clarification about the structure of the ball.
sl235
Hi,

I was unsure how to describe what I wanted using words alone so I created a GIF to help.

k7rF6T.gif

Or view here - http://makeagif.com/i/k7rF6T

I am pretty unschooled in the world of physics so please forgive my lack of understanding.

Firstly, the force that would cause the ball to move to the top of the structure is centripetal force correct?

As the ball moves upwards through the Y axis, according to Newtons Third Law, as the ball moves upwards it is creating an equal force downwards?

How would the force generated by the movement of the ball through the Y plane be calculated?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just for clarity, assume the ball has a hole in the center and has the freedom to move up or down the arm as the speed of the rotation increases/decreases.

Related to Calculating Vertical Acceleration from Centripital enduced movement

1. What is vertical acceleration?

Vertical acceleration is the rate of change of vertical velocity. It is the measure of how quickly the speed or direction of an object's vertical motion is changing.

2. How is vertical acceleration calculated?

To calculate vertical acceleration from centripetal-induced movement, you will need to know the radius of the circular path, the object's vertical velocity, and the object's mass. The formula is a = v^2/r, where a is the vertical acceleration, v is the vertical velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the relationship between vertical acceleration and centripetal force?

Vertical acceleration and centripetal force are directly proportional. This means that as the vertical acceleration increases, so does the centripetal force, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

4. Can vertical acceleration be negative?

Yes, vertical acceleration can be negative. This occurs when an object's vertical velocity is decreasing, either due to a decrease in speed or a change in direction. Negative vertical acceleration is often referred to as deceleration or negative g-forces.

5. How is vertical acceleration measured?

Vertical acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) or in units of g-forces. To measure vertical acceleration, specialized equipment such as an accelerometer or a pendulum can be used. These devices measure the acceleration of an object in a specific direction and can provide accurate measurements of vertical acceleration.